Thread: MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #438
Damian Rey

Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Damian Rey puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
I'm late to the party again, but boy do I not agree with the firing of Josh Byrnes. I admit I had my reservations about him when they replaced a departing Jed Hoyer with him, but I think he's done a solid job, considering his limitations.

I still would not have done it, but he didn't lose on the Cashner/Rizzo trade. Cash has been the team's best pitcher the last 2 seasons, and has filled in nicely for Latos. Speaking of Latos, even though I wouldn't have done that trade either, it's not like he got a couple of bums in Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal. Both were legit highly touted prospects when they got here, who have since been derailed by either lack of playing time and, in both cases, injuries.

He also raped the Athletics, twice, for Tyson Ross, another great starting pitcher, and Seth Smith, who's a top 20 in avg/obp/slg this year. Also, the Rays gave up Alex Torres and Jesse Hahn, both who have been impressive (especially Hahn), while Logan Forsythe has sucked on the Rays end of the deal.

He has also built a staff that has continued to draft well. Apparently ownership thought the current roster should be a more competitive team. Byrnes, or any GM, can't control that. I think player performances and lack of development as they get more experience falls on the manager, not the GM. I also think you'd have to have been an idiot to think the current roster, even if healthy and productive, would be better than the Giants and Dodgers. Maybe they're slightly above .500, but they wouldn't be a division contender. Sounds like ownership is a bunch of know nothings.

Now that he's gone, though, I'd love to see them pluck Jason McLeod from the Cubs. Think he's Jed Hoyer 2.0, and I loved Jed when he was here.