View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 05:08 AM   #134
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Watched Riddle vs. Dream and Gargano vs. Cole.

* Velveteen Dream is such a fucking star. I say that every time I see him. There's no way Vince can see him and not "get it," right? I want this guy against John Cena, trying to replace him as a hero to the universe. I want that at Mania next year since we're very, very unlikely to get a Rock match. But god damn, if they could do Dream vs. Rock...

* Matt Riddle impressed the hell out of me. I loved some of the things he did with Kassius Ohno. He has great presence and wonderful facial expressions. I think he's a star too. I honestly don't think he's too long for NXT, because I think the masculinity and old school appreciation for the work he exudes is going to endear him to Vince pretty quickly. Wouldn't surprise me if he's on Raw as a heel very soon.

* The match itself was really good. Riddle does some insane shit that doesn't even seem to come from his MMA background. And you live and die with Dream. It was a great match and I loved the story it told of Riddle really pressing it to Dream and it just not being enough to beat the guy with a lot of heart who was always going to take a moment when he could get it. Simple stuff with some innovative telling. I usually don't like yelling verbal stuff at opponents during matches, but Riddle even did that. "I'm the Bro that runs the show." Lol.

* Johnny Gargano is great at putting together the dramatic structure of a match. A lot of the time. I feel his psychology is a little weak sometimes and you can see through the fight and see a dance. I don't think I liked this as much as the tag match where they beat The Revival. Honestly. It was a great match and the most I've enjoyed Johnny in a long time.

* Adam Cole impressed the hell out of me. There's something visually that I never used to like, but he's grown into himself a lot. He tells a lot with his face. He knows how to heel it up. When he and Johnny are staring at each other from across the ring and it's announced as the final fall, Cole's look of sheer desperation is great. I feel the dude could use some longer gear though. Short trunks aren't for everyone. That make him seem a lot more indy than he needs to feel. He should be presented like a Shawn Michaels.

* I never want to see another reverse hurricanrana ever again. Fuck's sake. And I don't really get the Panama Sunrise spot. But this had some psychology that I did like, and I think Adam Cole is getting really great at that. He's another guy that I don't feel is long for NXT, because I feel he really does come off as more and more of a complete package, even as far as he manifests himself physically out there in terms of making his stature work for him. He projects as a star even if he doesn't really pass the "airport test."

Overall, I'm glad I watched those matches. The NXT presentation immediately feels right. I even appreciate Mauro and Nigel on commentary. But even the screen cards before the matches make it feel like a fight. There's a polish and technical efficiency to the shows, but they're not overly glossy and feel like there's more investment in getting the fights out there to you instead of doing a concert or something.

I really wish main roster WWE still felt like that. When wrestling is done right it can be so fucking good. And feeling the energy from a crowd full of douchebags can lend credence to chasing that energy for your shows.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote