View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #29373
Wishbone
I'm a loner, Dottie...

Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
I've always been of the opinion that it doesn't matter what a character looks like, it's how you use them that counts. IMHO Owens has plenty of potential to be a star. The issue is with the storytelling and context in which he is portrayed.

WWE has guys who look and "feel" like megastars, but they never reached it (see Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns, etc.) The reason for this has nothing to do with the guys themselves and everything to do with the way WWE presented them. Bray isn't a mega-heel right now because WWE had him lose pretty much every feud he's been in and in general made him look like a joke. And in the case of both Reigns and Wyatt they screwed up by giving neither compelling stories to help fans get behind what was going on. If Undertaker had lost 90% of his matches and was made to look like I liar every time he said something scary would he have succeeded? No. If Austin hadn't had the attitude and aggression he did and instead just made childish jokes and smiled, and if he hadn't had the McMahon stuff and all the other rivalries we remember would he have gotten over like he did? I don't think so personally.

You look at TV today and you see a lot of top shows involving characters that aren't what you'd typically think would appeal to the mass market. Nerdy, quirky, geeky, these are things that have become extremely appealing in mass media over the last few years, and I think WWE needs to evolve and embrace these things if they want to survive. Comics have begun to embrace this with more and more characters becoming more lighthearted and "geeky" and less being badasses who are "dark and brooding" like they were in the 80s and 90s, and the result of this shift has been increased sales in comic books to a point they haven't been in ages. TV has also begun to see a shift toward this with fewer super serious characters and more lighthearted and relateable ones.

Anyway that's just my two cents. Personally I think if WWE just got their shit together and created stories people actually cared about it wouldn't matter what their wrestlers looked like (within reason of course.) I'm not saying Kevin shouldn't get a slight makeover as his current ring gear looks a little cheap, but he doesn't need to completely change himself in my opinion.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote