View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 AM   #84
.44 Magdalene
Smitten for Kittens

.44 Magdalene puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+).44 Magdalene puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+).44 Magdalene puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+).44 Magdalene puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+).44 Magdalene puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+).44 Magdalene puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+).44 Magdalene puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+).44 Magdalene puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+).44 Magdalene puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Everybody else seems to have the wrestling covered--and seeing as Destor's done quite a bit more in the ring than I have, I'll go ahead and keep my two cents out of his way.

That being said, I am an actor certified with the National Forensics League and have competed at the state and regional level. My oratory is a bit rusty since I never competed out of highschool, but I think I could provide a sufficient word or two concerning the promos.

Let me ask: did you write the promos ahead of time? Did you think about what you were going to say prior, or did you speak on the fly? Did you practice at all prior?

There's alot of mumbling, alot of rushing of certain lines and otherwise inconsistent rates, alot of stuttering and dragging. Statements need to be crisp, concise, clear and audible. If you know you're going to be cutting a recorded promo ahead of time, there's no excuse for not practicing--at the very least to keep you from ssstumbling through lines. The interview looks completely on the fly, and you seem to be fumbling for what to say next at times, or searching for words.

The actual promos, on the other hand... ugh. You at least appear to have thought about what you're going to say, but alot of these lines are just terrible. "Somebody just came by and egged your... house." "All these crazy words flying at you~"

I can literally hear the shaking in your voice. There's no reason to be that nervous on a taped promo, you can just tape back over it if you fuck up. Unless you're a natural improviser--and you're clearly not--you need to be writing all of your shit ahead of time. Actually, seriously writing it. Or typing it in Wordpad, I don't really give a shit. Memorize at least the key points, if not the entire thing--a promo's not really that big to begin with, memorizing it shouldn't be hard. Work toward an actual point and build up to it, don't just work from one rehashed wrestling cliche to another. "This is my ring. Mind games. I'm a killer, I'll retard you or whatever. Be afraid and shit." Pick a point and settle on it, and spend the rest of the promo mountaining up to that.

And for God's sake, play a character. Have a fucking personality. You don't sound intimidating or sadistic or smart. You sound like a kid that watches wrestling alot, that's about fucking all. You need to have some sort of driving agenda behind your character. You're jumping from mindgames to music to movies to sex jokes to poop jokes to whatever the hell just seems to pop into your head at the time, and there's no cohesion or drive or centering point. Are you cocky? Are you crazy? Are you just some dude rambling at the camera? Envisioning what sort of wrestler you're attempting to come across can pave the way toward what you should be saying to your opponent. You're sort of all over the place--saying "ain't" in one promo, but then talking about disabling your opponent's ability to do arithmetic. ...And then talking about music in the next promo.

You're all over the place across what, three promos? You don't need a real gimmick or anything, but it is hard to take a promo anything near seriously when you come off as a kid talking shit. You're trying, first and foremost, to convince either your opponent or your audience (or both) that you're going to win your match. You're attempting to influence opinions and change minds. You're attempting to convince. Keep that in mind. Don't just talk to be talking. Alternatively, you're trying to entertain and/or be humorous, in which case, you have alot of work to do because that was pretty bland.

Referencing WWE and TNA and ROH wrestlers and events in your promos = Unprofessional. Makes you sound like a mark, steer away from it. Period. Your fed is your fed. Your fed is all that matters when you're cutting a promo in it. Pretend other feds don't exist.

Like I said, my actual in ring experience is pretty slim (I'm still in training myself), so some of this might be a little skewed and those with more experience at actual promos than myself can feel free to correct me on any of this. I'm just throwing out some general speech advice, and trying to curve it around wrestling. Really, your stuff's sloppy enough that I don't know honestly know where to begin, I'm just sorta pissing in a lake here.

And for fuck's sake, talk to somebody about firing that guy in the blue shirt.
.44 Magdalene is offline   Reply With Quote