View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 05:16 AM   #133
XL
Feeling Oof-y

XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchables View Post
nah i'm with you on this too. i thought it was a very strong ending to 10+ years of narrative but was definitely far from perfect. i think, on balance, i probably enjoyed infinity war more.

stray thoughts and observations:
SPOILER: show

- i think they took thor's 'funny' characterisation a step too far, maybe? his initial reimagining in ragnarok was goddamn inspired, and they balanced his humorous and serious aspects beautifully in infinity war, but he just felt a bit too goofy for me in endgame. idk. maybe i am being harsh. but his arc was the only one - compared with the other original avengers, anyway - that felt kind of unsatisfying imo

- on the other end of the spectrum, i goddamn loved banner-hulk. that was absolutely wonderful and a far more satisfying outcome for that character

- steve's arc, also, just beautifully wrapped up. also lol @ "that IS america's ass"

- i accept the 'going back and changing the past doesn't change the future' rhetoric, which enables things like future nebula killing past nebula without erasing herself -- even if it feels flimsy as hell compared to the more logical framework presented by back to the future etc -- but surely thanos travelling to the future and dying there would change things regardless; i.e. thanos goes to the future to attack the avengers and ends up getting dusted; therefore, thanos isn't around to make his later attack(s) in 2018, meaning he never gets all the infinity stones, meaning the events of infinity war should never have happened in the first place. right?!

or is this some kind of "no, it created an alternate timeline, so there is a future where thanos doesn't attack in 2018, but that's not 'our' timeline because time travel is bullshit" bullshit

- so there's a random loki out there somewhere with the tesseract -- presumably gonna be the loki we get for his series. deft workaround, i guess

- i guess if gamora's in gotg 3, she's gonna be 2014 gamora also?

- ok so speaking of gamora, the soul stone demands a sacrifice from the person who wants the stone, right? hence why thanos flings gamora off the cliff -- he sacrifices her to earn it. but nat/clint were both trying to kill themselves; doesn't that mean the other one didn't actually sacrifice anything? sure, clint lost someone he loved, but he didn't sacrifice her. in fact, he was actively trying to stop her sacrifice. i dunno. this film was so narratively overstuffed i might have missed some logical explanation for why suicide would work as a means of giving someone else the stone but it seems a stretch

- also how is clint just holding the soul stone when he wakes up, when it was made clear in guardians and other movies that ordinary people can't just handle the stones? the collector's offsider tries to grab the power stone in gotg 1 and literally explodes. actually, this movie has a lot of problems now that i really think about it

- odds that the 'falcon and winter soldier' series will be called 'captain america and winter soldier'? or will sam keep the falcon name regardless? either way, i really loved the way cap's (and sam's) story played out. again, contrary to thor, i think steve's arc really was handled beautifully

- the random teen at stark's funeral was the kid from iron man 3. i had to look it up because in the cinema i was just like 'who the fuck is that?' -- and i watched iron man 3 like two weeks ago so i am sure i am not the only one who doesn't recognise him.

- on that note, i was actually surprised that only nat and stark died. i was expecting a higher body count for the avengers themselves tbh

- i like that they gave carol her comics-accurate haircut. suited her well. i also appreciated that they didn't really make her the be-all-and-end-all deus ex machina i was expecting her to be. she helped a lot, but was hardly vital

- rocket holding nebula's hand on the ship's steps, his distress when he's trapped under the building debris, and when he tries to shield groot during the end battle are all heartbreaking li'l moments. i know he is a cgi raccoon but goddamn

- tom holland is, as always, an absolute joy. paul rudd also really good at bringing levity where it was needed and appreciated

- whole theatre popped like crazy for cap wielding mjolnir. that reveal and sequence was, admittedly, glorious

- 'i am... inevitable.' 'yeah? well, i... am... iron man' -- predictable as hell, but also absolutely perfect

so yeah... this all may seem like i'm being super-down on the film; i'm not -- i really, really enjoyed it and will undoubtedly watch it again, possibly even once more while it's at the movies, but i also don't think it was the best thing i've ever seen in a cinema at all. to each their own though i guess
SPOILER: show
Agree with you on Thor. The guy should have been (even more) heartbroken; he’s lost his brother, his father, mother, his sister was evil, he lost his home, and half his people, then he didn’t go for the head. He blames himself but it’s all played for laughs. A little too much.

That we one of my overall nitpicks; the movie was “too funny” given the gravity of what happens/was happening. I get that Marvel movies are funny, but I felt it undermined a lot of the plot.

Some of the fan service/call backs were delightful - the “don’t do anything stupid” exchange between Cap and Bucky was great - but a lot of it was laid on very thick.

The All-The-Female-Heroes-Team-Up was way too tacked on. Bleh.

I’ve never been in a movie theatre where people actually cheer/applaud (it’s not a very British thing to do - but we had a pop for Cap being worthy, I think Peter got a reaction, and there was a guy behind me who shouted “yibambe” when Panther walked on screen

I think for a long time I was “concerned” they were going to undo everything and that wouldn’t have sat very well with me. 2 hours and 10 minutes in the movie came to life; I think at the start of the battle. Which is unusual for me as I’m not really one for action scenes.

I’ll be seeing it again with my wife in the next couple of weeks so my perspective might change.

Again, I thought it was good but there was a lot that didn’t work for me.
XL is offline   Reply With Quote