View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #2556
Evil Vito
President of Freedonia

Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I’ve finally made it to Battleground…which is not at all a mostly thrown-together show to serve as a vehicle to build for my more interesting SummerSlam card.

Also I remembered to activate Scott Keith’s commentary for star ratings purposes, so there’s that.

Pre-Show: The Miz vs. Jack Swagger
The Miz ran down Swagger on the mic, and when Swagger’s theme eventually hit, the crowd were greeted with a nice surprise as he was accompanied by the returning ZEB COLTER! He gives a spiel about how the American media gives way too much credence to loudmouthed movie stars like The Miz and wraps the whole thing up with a good ‘ol fashioned “WE. THE PEOPLE!”

Oh, right…the match. And like the Miz, it was AWESOME. Seriously, what the hell? A 93% match quality rating for a Miz/Jack Swagger pre-show match? I hope that’s a sign of things to come for this PPV, holy shit. Anyway, Swagger grabs the win with the Patriot Lock.
Winner: Jack Swagger
****, 93% Match Quality, 79% Crowd Reaction, 86% Overall Rating

WWE Intercontinental Championship: Big Show vs. Ryback (C)

In real life the thought of a second straight month of Show and Ryback would sound awful, but hey…they actually had a good showing at MITB. And this match is more of the same. Show overpowered Ryback through most of this build and said he could never be Shell Shocked again. Sure enough, after attempting it several times to no success, Ryback eventually got the big man up again. As he marched around the ring, he was met with a BROGUE KICK! Ryback collapses in a heap with Show falling on top of him for good measure. Ryback wins the match by DQ but hardly looks like a winner here as Sheamus plants him with the White Noise for good measure. It appears that somebody new is gunning for a title shot.
Winner (by DQ) and STILL WWE Intercontinental Champion: Ryback
***, 78% Match Quality, 84% Crowd Reaction, 82% Overall Rating

King Barrett vs. Neville

Barrett has been picking up some serious momentum over the past few weeks, and he challenged his foe Neville to another clash, having lost to him in 2 of the last 3 PPVs. Both guys are good workers, so a good match between them isn’t a surprise – but sorta like my pre-show match I wasn’t expecting it to be THIS good. My undercard is busting their ass on this show. Barrett takes a spinning kick to the gut, sells it. Neville climbs up top, leaps, but Barrett was playing possum. Bullhammer! Barrett gets the win over one of his top foes. All hail Barrett!
Winner: King Barrett
****1/4, 94% Match Quality, 79% Crowd Reaction, 86% Overall Rating

WWE Divas Championship: Nikki Bella vs. Paige (C)

Much like my IC Title match, I re-booked another MITB match because the rating was better than I expected. Also because I’m killing time until I can replenish the divas roster as they did in real life. Brie banned from ringside for this one after being a thorn in Paige’s side during the build-up (even though she was part of the reason Nikki lost last time). But it doesn’t matter here as Paige locks in the PTO for the successful title defense.
Winner and STILL WWE Divas Champion: Paige
**3/4, 74% Match Quality, 76% Crowd Reaction, 75% Overall Rating

Kane vs. Randy Orton

Orton continues to be a pain in the side of The Authority, so The Authority sends the Devil’s Favorite Jobber Demon Kane after him. Simple enough build. Anyway, they have a decent enough brawl between them and the crowd is into it but it really picked up near the end. Kane down, Orton pounding the mat getting ready for the RKO. But then the lights went out and the all too familiar sound effect played. Lights come back on and Orton, still on his hands and knees, comes face to face with BRAY WYATT in the upside down crab walk. Orton raises to his feet, looking confused. Kane spins him around with a Chokeslame. Corporate Kane actually wins! After the match is over, Wyatt hits Orton with Sister Abigail. What is the meaning of all of this???
Winner: Kane
***1/4, 79% Match Quality, 90% Crowd Reaction, 86% Overall Rating

Next up, Kevin Owens comes out and continues to talk shit about how he’s the one who put John Cena out of commission. He’s been running through the competition in his NXT Title Open Challenge week in and week out, and tonight will be no exception. And holy dogshit, SAMOA JOE answers the call!

NXT Championship: Samoa Joe vs. Kevin Owens (C)
This PPV is absolutely killing it, as we have our third amazing match of the evening here. Announcers play up both guys being familiar with each other with prior battles on NXT and elsewhere. Ref bump at one point, Joe down too. Owens says fuck it and grabs the title to use as a weapon. And then, go figure, John Cena’s feud hits as the kids in the audience lose their shit. Cena and Owens have a fistfight and Cena hits the AA before leaving having made his point. Joe and the ref come to. Match continues for a couple more minutes but it’s clear Owens has been taken off his game. Joe locks in the Coquina Clutch and Owens, being the tough bastard he is, doesn’t tap out. But he does pass out for the count of three as Joe is declared new NXT Champion! Incredible match, a IWC’s wet dream.
Winner and NEW NXT Champion: Samoa Joe
****1/2, Match Quality: 100%, Crowd Reaction: 79%, 89% Overall Rating

WWE Tag Team Championships: Tyson Kidd & Cesaro vs. The New Day (C)

Kidd & Cesaro never did get their proper rematch against The New Day, having last had a shot at the gold in the crowded Elimination Chamber. They had a really tough match to follow, but the guys involved here did a nice job to keep the crowd into it and put together a solid showing. The match degenerates as tag matches often times do. Woods gets involved illegally at ringside and in the midst of the chaos Kidd experiences some Trouble in Paradise as the New Day retain.
Winners and STILL WWE Tag Team Champions: The New Day
***1/4, 84% Match Quality, 80% Crowd Reaction, 82% Overall Rating

Time for the main event triple threat match, and before it happens we get a nicely put together compilation package. The match is said to be 2 and a half years in the making as it shows clips from The Shield’s WWE debut. Survivor Series debut right up to Reigns winning the belt off of Ambrose at MITB and the 3 of them brawling on Raw. Nice package to get the crowd a little extra amped up.
84% Overall Rating

WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Roman Reigns (C)

Extremely fun main event, all three guys get their own individual moments to shine and of course in big WWE PPV main event fashion there was also a heaping helping of drama and near-falls. Since there is, by definition, no disqualification in a triple threat match, all three guys felt comfortable taking the fight outside for a while as well, including teasing a spot with the announce table that didn’t quite come to fruition.

As most expected, out came The Authority and just like at MITB and through the build, Seth Rollins wasn’t happy about this as he truly feels he can do it on his own. Triple H gets in the ring to direct traffic as Kane and J&J channel The Shield with a triple powerbomb to Ambrose through the announce table. Rollins gets in HHH’s face, screaming that he doesn’t need the help. HHH tells him to stand down, and Rollins shoves down HHH to a pop from the crowd. But it also becomes a “don’t look behind you moment”, as he turns right into a Spear from Reigns. Reigns gets the victory and retains the belt amidst all the chaos.
Winner and STILL WWE World Heavyweight Champion: Roman Reigns
***1/2, 85% Match Quality, 91% Crowd Reaction, 89% Overall Rating

84% Overall Rating for Battleground
1.89 Buy Rate

Holy shit, what a great show considering my main focus is on SummerSlam. Not a single bad match in the bunch and I’ve set myself up nicely for the next month of storylines. Really happy with how this played out.
Evil Vito is offline   Reply With Quote