View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 04:24 AM   #45182
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BrotherVito DELETED View Post
Just thinking about Cesaro, someone who I love and have often felt should've gone further than he has before realizing he's actually right where he should be.

I think he's an absolutely world class performer but he's never had that intangible, the innate charisma and likeability that would have made him a truly top star.

One of the problems he has is that his best character work is done when he's a sort of smug, cocky, pretentious foreign star who knows exactly how good he is...but his best in-ring work is done when he's a fiery comeback babyface. So he's either a heel with a toned down style that's sort of boring or he's a face with no personality, so he never gets that top-level crowd reaction

I think he's found his niche in WWE as a tag performer, he's absolutely the best babyface hot tag house-on-fire in the business and when he's a heel, the current style of tag team wrestling helps him get away with being a bit more exciting in the ring. It's really the perfect spot for him.
I really love Cesaro -- I think he's brilliant in the ring, and he has the sort of "naturalistic charisma" I really like. It's not extroverted and it's not "innate." He just seems like a cool dude that is very confident and likable in life. That's without knowing the guy, of course. But that's not the charisma that gets you places in WWE.

They say they tried with him. I thought putting RVD into his program with Jack Swagger was a mistake. Just ride Cesaro's crowds reactions and let Cesaro outclass his former partner. I always thought Sheamus would have been a good opponent in Chicago (which is what they did), because Sheamus was a babyface (Cesaro was still a heel, just one with appeal to smart crowds) and you could have had Cesaro outclass him to a great pop. I was not really in on breaking up The Shield, so I think Money in the Bank should have gone to him.

What happened was that the Triple Threat distracted from Cesaro, they had to put Sheamus over Cesaro because he won the US Title inexplicably, and Seth was getting MITB. So Cesaro, this apparent world class competitor, lost a lot of steam from the booking too. It didn't help that Heyman was clearly getting notes that changed the directions of his promos from "Cesaro is going to be the guy" to "Cesaro is going to be a guy" to "Brock Lesnar, Brock Lesnar, Brock Lesnar." Ass.

So while there are clearly flaws with Cesaro's personality game, I don't think the booking helped him. They don't book to cover up weaknesses in WWE, and they don't book to fostered strengths either. As a result he has ended up valuable, but not someone that is easy to get enthused about.

Of course, he will probably get a push in about 5 years randomly and after everyone has totally believed there was any chance of it happening.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote