View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 07:52 PM   #156
Fignuts
Hey Mister!

Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Again, this comes down to how people view these movies and star wars as a whole.

When I saw the original trilogy for the first time, sure I was curious about Vader and Palpatines backstory. But I didn't feel like I needed that information because those movies were all there was.

But now you've got 6 movies that have established a history, and the rules that said history plays by. So when I watch the new movies the questions I have have DO need to be answered, because otherwise the overall Star Wars story doesn't make sense. And that's why this is such a divisive topic. Because you have people who only care about judging the movie on it's own merits and how it evolves it's characters, and then you have people like me who see it as a small part of a whole, and have a problem if something doesn't fit in that bigger picture, even if it effectively strengthens other characters in the movie.

And you can try and argue that's on me, but frankly that's bullshit. The people that write this know that it's a part of a larger picture, and ignoring that and creating a plot device that contradicts that larger picture just because you're too lazy to think of anything else, is bad writing.
Fignuts is offline   Reply With Quote