View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #37
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Rey 2.0 View Post
I mean, Jake Roberts was a pretty bad in ring performer from the stuff I've seen. But he was an amazing storyteller. Being able to athletically put on a good wrestling match and tell a story are not one in the same.

Ricochet v Ospreay is a prime example of a match with zero storytelling.
You're just sticking to your own definitions, lol. I'm not the biggest fan of Jake, honestly, but there's a difference between him not being a guy who did a lot of high spots and being a bad in-ring performer. His storytelling is what made him legend people still talk about to this day (well, maybe the promos and romanticizing the DDT more than anything). You're kind of arguing against yourself and don't even realize it. You don't need to do the shit Kenny Omega does to be great.

Yes, Ricochet vs. Ospreay is an example of a match with zero storytelling. That's why it fucking sucked and I turned it off a few minutes in. It's why a guy like Cornette desribed it as "a brilliant display of gymnastics, but it wasn't a wrestling match." Synchronized swimming without the water. I can't remember the exact verbatim, so I paraphrase, but you keep using your definitions to define other people's instead of re-evaluating your own. You separating "storytelling" from "in-ring" is a personal exercise that not everyone is going to agree with.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote