View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 12:23 AM   #12
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I have to preface this with the statement that I like where this game is going. I'm about to say some shit that makes it look like I don't like this game thus far, and this isn't the case.I didn't really have time to dive into this with any quality playtime. Just the creation (which took awhile partially because of something I'll address in a moment and partially because I was trying to hear all the variations of the flavor dialogue when I was cycling through point distribution options) and the rock corridor path getting to the ship.

I have two complaints: one - some of the first NPCs I met disappeared. I figured I got them amped up either clear my path or get comically slaughtered, but instead, they started shooting, then vanished mid battle. Not killed; they just teleported out of existence, and then the assailants turned their attention to me like they were never there. Guessing it won't really matter in the long run, but I'm hoping this won't be a recurring issue that borks the game hours in.

Two - and this is something that is plaguing gaming as a whole - is that there needs to be a goddamn option to make the font bigger. Not everyone is on a gaming PC or otherwise two feet away from the screen. My consoles are across the living room. I'm in a comfy chair. I don't want to get up and walk halfway to the television to attempt to read the tutorials or subtitles or flavor text or anything else you decide the player needs to read. There are games that I have stopped playing or couldn't even really start (looking at Neverwinter) because of this nonsense.

Seriously, this is an easily addressable problem, but few even bother. The only game I play that I can even think of that makes it fixable is Warframe (they even go so far as to let you change the size of various portions of the HUD independently, let alone the chat window and menu fonts). Like custom button mapping on console, or increasingly more often screen centering (which seems to be an option being REMOVED over time. Makes no sense that I can't see part of a HUD or dialogue box because they didn't think about the fact that that all screens aren't equal and won't let me adjust the borders) this is something that can be addressed in adding like one more settings menu option... and it's just... not.

Speaking of button mapping, interesting that when trying to figure out the controls that the tutorial does a halfass job at even in the tiny font, there are hotkeys on the chatpad. I don't know if this is just a side effect of the pad being an analogue for an actual desktop keyboard or if it was intentionally done, but either way, that's good. Too bad I found out by randomly pushing buttons while trying to change weapons on the fly instead of the game saying "hey, here's a thing you can do".

I feel like I should say something positive out of obligation now, but I'm not going to. I really really want to like this game, and I haven't gotten far enough to make any true judgments yet. But this font thing pisses me off so much ever since the first Dead Rising "you need to get a newer TV" thing from the last gen.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote