Thread: Ratings Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 09:41 PM   #2904
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1-norm-fan View Post
I COULD go ahead and “continue” a discourse about the direction of AEW’s ratings that I was never actually having in the first place so that your warped view of reality can more easily stay on track.

I COULD explain in a new, less sarcastic/smartass manner why your Daniel Bryan gripe is another in a long line of weird, desperate reaches.

I COULD explain the horrible flaw in your attempted “gotcha” when you accused me of misrepresenting your point and how your explanation just made it worse.

All of that would lead absolutely nowhere because of the bigger issue which is that you argue based on a reality and a view of yourself that is fucking crazy. You’re free to head back to the Survivor Series thread and try to explain how you’re a rational person but barring that happening, I don’t trust your ability to assess any argument being made to you.
That’s a really long-winded way of saying you can’t do those things. We’re in the ratings thread, we’re discussing ratings. I have asked you a direct question and you’re avoiding it.

I will continue to actually stay on topic and explain my rationale even further. When you have a beloved babyface that people actually want to see, it can be detrimental to that audience to transform them into an intended antagonist.

Bryan Danielson in AEW is on a much smaller scale, but it was stupid to turn Austin heel at Mania 17. It was stupid to turn Goldberg heel. It was stupid to turn Ric Flair heel in 1999. Sometimes the wrestler in question is a tremendous performer in that heel role, but people don’t necessarily want to see it at that point in time in that particular context. If you are a fan of Bryan Danielson, seeing his presentation in AEW, no matter how good he is at portraying smugness or controlling a match, can be really fucking jarring.

That’s not the only factor. It’s one of many. The silly wrestlers that undermine the sincerity of your product are another — especially when they contrast to things you want to be taken sincerely. The overexposure of stars by having them wrestle so long almost every week is another. The choice of their opponents are another, because the outcomes are foregone conclusions, they challenge the credibility of the stars you’re putting them against, and they are drawn out attempts to milk drama from a place you cannot milk it from effectively. There’s also just so much wrestling that people are going to prioritize and/or fall behind then realize they don’t care.

And the explicit content is another. Some people may not like swearing because they’re religious. I didn’t say that was the only reason, so I’m not sure why you’re holding onto this like a “gotcha.” It could also be that they just don’t like swearing around their kids. Or don’t like hearing a juvenile product. Or it just further embeds the stereotype that wrestling is quite often trashy TV. I didn’t exclude religion from my reasoning, but it’s just blatantly incorrect to represent my point like it was the crux when you were the one who introduced it.

I’m sure it’s fun for you to say I am disconnected from reality to try and dismiss my points without actually arguing against them (although I’m sure you COULD, right?), but it’s quite ironic that you cannot respond to a direct question, which I am going to pose again:

Do you deny that AEW’s ratings are declining? Let’s see who is disconnecting from reality.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote