View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 02:26 AM   #17
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fignuts View Post
You’re misinterpreting the phrase demons as an excuse.
This.

And a more complete use of the term is "their demons to battle". I'ts become semi-polite shorthand for whatever may be known about a person, like drug addiciton, self harm, abuse, depression, whatever. It isn't much different than when someone who overcame such things says something like "I was in a dark place" - generally used for either an addiction or suicidal ideation levels of deep depression.

More a personal, internal struggle that they themselves have to battle and overcome than a separate metaphysical entity to pawn things off on.

Like the Scott Hall example - his demon *was* that he liked to drink. Alcohol became more important than a lot of shit to him, and it took him to decide to fight that. The phrase isn't trivializing his drinking or how it contributed to his fall by saying it wasn't his fault.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote