View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #214
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Another reason I don't think Triple H vs. Batista is the Mania plan:

Batista has been rumored for the 2019 Hall of Fame. The rumored plans for the HOF usually turn out to be pretty accurate. I'm trying to remember a year when they were wrong. Goldberg seemed weird to me, because he did such a great job in 2016/2017, but then that turned out to be correct too.

I don't think people would start those rumors, because even though guys still do stuff afterwards (Ric Flair, Kurt Angle, Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka and Ricky Steamboat -- although a lot of that was actually the gimmick they were Hall of Famers), it seems like it would be a huge blow to someone if they started that rumor and the guy was actually coming back for a big run, because there's kind of that connotation of "you're mostly done." I'm not wrestler, but it seems like bad etiquette. I can imagine the only way that gets out is if someone in a reputable position has pitched the idea and it's been received well.

Anyway, when you think about headliners left, the only two guys are The Undertaker and Batista, really. They're not going to put The Rock in, because it dates him -- especially if he's coming back to kick ass and headline. Taker is a maybe because he's at the point where he's teased retirement, so it can kind of fuel him in this weird sort of way. Maybe Kane, but I don't know if they'd trust him to be a headliner. I imagine he goes in on a strong billing -- maybe even the same one as Taker, where he doesn't look disrespected but also isn't exactly depended on.

Batista makes sense. He's largely moved on, he's a star and can still be, but there's not that same sense of "leading man" about him where aging him damages his credibility. Now if he goes in, it would just be weird to have 2019 Hall of Famer Batista vs. same age guy, more championships, treated like a bigger legend Triple H wrestling him at Mania. Like, it's not impossible, but something about it just feels wonky. Why would Batista be in but not Triple H?

That's why I think if Triple H vs. Batista happens, it won't be at WrestleMania. It'll be a showcase on the way and Batista will put over Triple H to set him up for Rock. If he's down for that. If not, I can see Triple H's position on it being "I don't want to beat you, let's have your wins over me be part of your thing." Like they treat it as a real accolade to strengthen him. And Batista was never exactly a masterclass worker, so at this stage there's a good chance that Triple H doesn't even want the match, even if he is winning.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote