View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #57
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Dale Newstead View Post
There is no doubt the system is broken. Relying on the court of public opinion is no way to fix it.
I don't think that's a fair assessment of what the trade-off is, though. I don't think anyone is saying throw out the broken system and let's just burn the accused witches. The idea that people believe women is still a relatively fresh concept in the public arena, and you certainly see on the internet how people are still very quick to try and drill holes where they can, like stories are supposed to be perfect.

I think we agree that the system sucks, and that relying on people, who are largely stupid, is no fix. And I've taken the bait and started talking about public opinion instead of the point, which is that these things just aren't made up that often, and the only unreported accounts are true accounts (because a false account never happened, therefore it's not unreported). More so than the court of public opinion, we're entering a period where now when a woman comes forward, authorities are going to be more likely to believe them, because they know these stats.

And while I'm not a big fan on the court of public opinion, I am a big fan of using your money to hurt these guys with power who throw it around. Not relevant to Enzo, but I love it that businesses feel like they have to take these things seriously otherwise it will affect their bottom-dollar.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote