View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #260
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I hate how ratings work. I get the demos and all that but I don't think I'll ever accept that a TV show wins the ratings war over something that has 3 times as many viewers. Just seems so dumb.
It is dumb. But they don’t win the ratings. AEW got kicked off TNT for hockey, which has a smaller demo. They’re just more valuable because a different number of people watch hockey throughout a season versus wrestling fans being obsessives who tune in every week, and because, frankly, wrestling fans aren’t the sort of people advertisers are into.

Think about your average AEW fan. Do you want them to be the ones buying your t-shirt and trying to set a trend? There’s a large difference between a 49 year old white fat virgin in rural Indiana who only ever spends his money on pizza and wrestling PPVs and an 18 year old fit black guy in New York City. Advertisers know this. They are interested in WAY more than these easily obtained numbers tell.

The ratings are a big deal for wrestling shows because they were a measuring stick during the Monday Night Wars and because wrestling’s faux competitive element makes people want to measure dicks.

Have you ever wondered why the WWE pushes so many different people from diverse backgrounds? It’s not just for fun. It’s because we live in a world where that diversity is way more important to advertisers than the outmoded 18-49 demo.

The ratings are also perpetuated by Meltzer who needed something to write about in quiet weeks, and the ratings provide whatever narrative you want. No fun to talk about the WWE being #1 on cable for years and years. More fun to talk about their slow demise and how viewership is decreasing. It’s got no more nuance than that.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote