View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 01:29 AM   #962
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCrippyZ View Post
I agree with you on Edge. However, if you want to get Edge over, there are (at least) better/easier ways to do it. Edge would've ultimately been (just as) over finishing in the top 4-5 as he would've if he'd finished 2nd.

The problem is, it seems (so far at least), if you're not going to use Edge to put over someone like Rollins, or Drew, why the fuck is he being brought back? Outside of selling tix to WM, and Edge's own ego of course?

If you're being objectively honest, Lesnar and Edge were the biggest stars on the Rumble tonight, and it wasn't even close. If Edge is going to come back for more than a one off (where he needs and can afford to lose to more of a "nobody"), than his loss needs to come to someone other than Reigns.

Hell, Im' not even sure Rollins would truly benefit at this point. No one has effectively been built up enough to realistically make it worth Edge losing to them. It's quite pathetic.
Well you've got to bring Edge back into the fold before you start having people smash him, lol. And he did put over Drew -- Drew won the match here and he got eliminated to put his star into Roman for Roman to then put it into Drew.

He can't just walk in and get his ass tossed by the first person he works with and walk off waving to the crowd like he's Tommy Dreamer. He's got to mean something and people have to accept and know that he's back and in form before beating him means what it means to beat Edge.

Brock and Edge were the biggest stars on the show, sure. Someone's got to be. Brock is the champion and Edge is coming back after nine years on the shelf. But you had Orton and Reigns who I would argue are names on a similar standing. And, truthfully, Rollins is probably there. But that's kind of besides the point. Brock helped Keith Lee, Ricochet, Drew McIntyre (in a big way) and did some good shit himself. That's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodmuc316 View Post
Is it just me, or did AJ either get injured and had to bail out, or did he botch the spot and accidentally get eliminated? He was out before Gallows even got there. Without all 3 in at the same time, there is zero reason for either Gallows or Anderson to be in the match for a shot at a singles championship.

The Brock stuff was good, although I agree they should have protected both Morrison and Nakamura better.

I was a big fan of MVP but what a waste of a spot. He came out, was to slow to catch Paul Heyman, then was eliminated. That would have been a better spot for Sheamus, Walter, Matt Hardy, etc.

And Rowan, why even waste all this time building him as a monster with squash matches and his caged whatever?
I can't remember if I said this out loud already or not, but Morrison is likely going to be in a tag team program with The New Day moving forward. He doesn't need to look like he is an immediate singles threat to the WWE Championship. And he doesn't look "bad" for being thrown out quickly by Brock. It was what it was.

Nakamura looks ace every time I see him. His presentation and his facial expressions. The outfit still isn't really my deal, but it looks a bit more stylized now. And he oozes charisma and he looked like a confident fucker getting in there with Brock.

If they do Bryan vs. Nakamura at WrestleMania, which I so, so, so hope they do now, then Nakamura is probably going to be in fine standing. But he's not about to headline a Mania himself or be that guy opening Raw with a 20-minute promo, so this was fine by me. And I love Nakamura.

With Rowan...I'm not sure if he's supposed to be a tippy-top guy. He's big. He probably works hard. He's got the goofy cage thing. He's probably best squashing guys much smaller than him and not being focused on as a headlining portion of Raw. Brock sold for him and got him out quick, which Brock sold as a strategic decision. It's not like they blew it all away with him. He'll be in his place, but that place is probably the Andre Battle Royal at Mania, so this is fine.

Quote:
This is so much hyperbolic buillshit and wishful thinking, it's pathetic and beyond you. I'm actually shocked you actually posted it because you're usually so much smarter and better than this type of nonsense. They haven't made a star in 15 years, despite a ridiculous number of attempts and multiple needs to do it.

It's ridiculous, but it seems like, for whatever reason, no one here really wants to truly acknowledge the reality of just how fucking stupid/senile and out of touch Vince really is. I don't get it, but it's getting pathetic and sad.
They haven't really needed a star. 15 years takes us back to Cena and Batista, who are stars, even if Cena wasn't accepted by the fans. But you also had Shawn Michaels, Edge, Randy Orton, Hulk Hogan, Triple H, The Undertaker, Chris Benoit and Rey Mysterio floating around for a good while. Then you move into the "Rock's back" era where they tried with CM Punk, who is a star and it was not long before Brock came back and they started with The Shield (Project Reigns).

There hasn't really been a need, because they've been coasting on their brand name.

Is Vince out of touch? In many ways. But this was very clearly put together by someone with a vision. You can see what that vision is. It's Drew McIntyre as a top star, Seth Rollins as a top heel, AJ Styles as a working heel underneath, Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens and Alistair Black as your underneath/rising babyfaces, Orton and Edge as babyface legends and Ricochet as an underneath featured player. This was not "Hey, let's get guy (x) and give him a Rumble win to set up a title match with (random heel champion)." I know you want it to be that, but this was them getting a guy they've been protecting and have had featured into top and middle programs for a while, and move him into good standing with the fans so he can be that babyface and stay there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy Victim Vito View Post
I know there's a lot of talk about making WrestleMania a two-day thing, but I really think they could make the Royal Rumble a two-day thing now that they have two of them.
I'm all for the progressive shit, but the Women's Royal Rumble is just unnecessary. It just doesn't play to their styles. A good Rumble is time for a shit-kicking. They don't have the brawlers for it, and their size means the work is getting seen through.

Set up angles and stories. Becky Lynch vs. Asuka was enough. One year in the making, Becky tries to avenge her loss at the same show. It makes sense, it tells a story. It can be your singles main event and you can promote the shit out of it. Charlotte can come out and cut a promo on the show talking about how ridiculous it is that The Queen doesn't get airtime at the Royal Rumble and she wants it to be known that she fully intends to challenge for the Women's Title and avenge her loss in the main event of WrestleMania last year and it's all "Becky, Becky, Becky" avenging her losses. Well, she's going to give that cunt something to avenge. If you want Bayley and Sasha involved, this is where you put them. "You've been acting like the Queen but you ain't the queen of shit." Cue them fighting and someone going through a Barbershop window.

That accomplishes the same shit, possibly even more and definitely better than having a bunch of women miss kicks, doing soft forearms, telegraphing their spots and struggling to flip themselves over ropes.

Quote:
My issue isn't necessarily with Drew winning. Yes, I think it was rushed for all the wrong reasons. However, my issue is with 1. the build to him winning, 2. how he won, and 3. the plans for what happens next. 1. He basically came out of nowhere and was rushed with no logical build to winning the Rumble after getting released years ago, i.e., no meaningful under card WWE title runs since 2013. 2. He beat guys who should and probably are significantly more talented and over than him, again with not justifiable build. 3. Vince will have no idea of how and what to do with him to keep and build on this momentum for him in the long term.
Drew's been back there since after Mania in 2018, lol. They've been protecting him since the move to Raw. I'm fairly certain he hasn't taken a pin since Owens on SmackDown. They didn't telegraph him winning, but he was surely one of the short-listed picks outside of Reigns and Velasquez. He seemed to be a lot of people's pick to do something with Brock at Mania. Had they done any direct story on Raw? No, but that's the story they were telling here. Brock was kind of "meeting" Drew for the first time. That's what this was about. Drew cutting bullshit promos on Raw about how he's going to win the Royal Rumble, blah, blah wouldn't do anything more. Winning the US Title only to drop the US Title and be visibly pinned wasn't going to do that either.

They're going to Mania with him. In the main event against Brock. You don't have to like it, but you almost literally can't have a more upwards direction than he's got right now lol.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote