Thread: Dark Souls
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
El Capitano Gatisto
World Class Raconteur

El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Friend and I have been trying to play this. Haven't done much on my own but I have a feeling I would get more done.

We are pretty much just getting rocked at parts and are already tired of going through an area over and over again. Seems like the game WANTS us to grind and keep saving/respawning everything but idk if I feel like it. Some parts were absolutely awesome. There were times I had to commend the developers for doing something a certain way. Still.. ugggghhh, it is disheartening at times.

Gonna play some tomorrow by myself just to see if I can focus better and really get through some places.
Well you do need to go to the bonfires often to level up and keep your spot in a level, but you don't have to grind if you don't want to. The combat system is pretty fair, you can beat any enemy as long as you are good enough and patient enough, but also thinking about the weapons you are using helps too. For the early game I found using a spear got me through the early parts because I could hide behind my shield, then I got the Drake Sword which smashes pretty much all the early enemies. I had to grind a bit, obviously, but didn't do any serious grinding until pretty far into the game.

The game may not be for you due to its fairly idiosyncratic style, but I think if you stick with it, it's a rewarding experience. It's a cliche to say it but it does remind me of old games, where you basically had no story, no cutscenes and you just had to keep trying to beat levels over and over. The game layout allows you to challenge an area but back out of it again if it's too difficult.

Use the wikis to help too, they contain good info. This game gives you virtually no instruction, so using the community is a big help, unless you want to play in a constant state of worry (which is good too). Lay down a soulsign to help other people, too, it's the best way to get souls and humanity and it gives you a risk-free dry run of bosses/levels. Then revive yourself and summon your own help.

The biggest thing is definitely patience, however.
El Capitano Gatisto is offline   Reply With Quote