View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #25111
Wishbone
I'm a loner, Dottie...

Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)Wishbone puts the "bang" in Bangladesh (30,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan View Post
Seriously though. You can have the superhero-looking guys AND the wrestlers co-exist. It's not like there's gotta be one or the other. But the superhero types are always gonna get preference when it comes to the main eventers that you promote to the mainstream. It's just the way it is. It's not one or the other. It's just that everyone has their purpose. You can build up stories for a guy like Cesaro and have them culminate in 5 star matches in the upper-midcard scene and no one is gonna bat an eyelash. You need someone else to throw out there to the mainstream and represent your company as the feature attraction though.

I don't think Triple H is ANTI-rasslers. NXT proves that. I just think he knows where guys should be on the card. Whether the shit writing makes everyone crave change or not.
/Noid post begin

I agree with you to a degree here, but what exactly do you mean by "superhero look?" I'm gonna assume based on what you said that you're equating Hulk Hogan to a superhero here, but if you actually look at what the mainstream superhero looks like today Hogan doesn't fit the bill at all. Hell, that kind of massive muscle hasn't been considered "cool" in the mainstream in well over 2 decades. Look at the Marvel movies, or even the new Superman. They're not massive guys. They've got muscle, yeah, but they're not anywhere near the "spectacle" that a Hogan or Warrior is. There's a reason guys like Jason Statham, Daniel Craig, etc have replaced the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

What's more looking like a so-called "superhero" hasn't even been proven to be a draw in wrestling since Hogan's era. Both Stone Cold and the Rock were far smaller than he was at their peaks. Neither had the physique of a monster yet both were every bit as big (if not bigger) stars than Hogan.

I'm not saying that guys with beer guts and flabby arms will draw here by the way. What I'm saying is that you don't need to be a massive ball of muscle to draw anymore, and in fact looking that way actually hurts your drawing potential. Even Roman Reigns doesn't have that sort of physique. The only three that exist with that sort of look today that actually draw money are Triple H, the Rock, and Brock Lesnar, and their drawing power comes from their name value not their looks. Cena could arguably be put in this category too I guess, but honestly after seeing him next to a lot of these guys I've noticed that he's really not as big as he used to be. The dude is defined as hell, but his muscles are a bit leaner than say the Rock's.

As for their faces, well, that really doesn't matter at all. Like I pointed out before you can just look at the current crop of action movie stars to see that "looking pretty" isn't an issue to the public (at least when it comes to men.) Hell, Hogan and company weren't exactly lookers themselves. Outside the Rock and Cena none of the big names in wrestling have been particularly "movie star" in appearance.

/end Noid post
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote