View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #1986
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Smeat View Post
TNA/Impact could have been at least an ECW-like competitor to the WWE in terms of status but they bungled the chance to be one way too many times.

ROH probably could have been a real minor challenger had Sinclair been a lot less penny pinching with their handling of the company over the years.

Now nobody has any chance of being a real threat to WWE's dominance since WWE will just swoop right in with talent raids or use their NXT brand for proxy fights. Even if another Ted Turner arrived, WWE would do everything possible to kill any chance of another real rival appearing on their doorsteps.
TNA has jumped the shark. I'm not sure when exactly that was, but I don't think anyone will ever take them seriously again unless The Rock buys them, fires Eli Drake for being a shitty impersonator and announces a partnership with New Japan on a national network people have heard of.

I wanted to like ROH for a long time. Early on it had that "technical wrestling" glossy soul-sister to ECW kind of vibe to it. Back then, the independent style was different. Now it's the norm, so like...why watch ROH? And they've committed to that aesthetic of being that glossy indy promotion. It's odd to think of them sinking money into things, filling up arenas and trying to generate a legitimate star. ROH feels like a feeder and doesn't have the "range" of other promotions.

I actually think it's a great time for another promotion to come along though. With the money being sunk into WWE to get them onto network television and all that, it should, at least in theory, be easier to con some other networks into sinking money into wrestling, because look at what Vince has achieved. Imagine what a good product run by someone that actually knows how to produce could do.

Daniel Bryan reportedly still hasn't signed with WWE. I believe Shinsuke Nakamura and AJ Styles were signed for 3 years in 2016. The wrestling fan in The Rock has got to be pissed at how Roman is turning out. The boys could use another place to work in order to bounce off Vince. I'm not even sure Vince would care if wrestling got hot and more people spoke about them.

I don't think anyone woudl put Vince out of business or anything, don't get me wrong -- and someone trying to compete for that slice of the pie might put Vince into "Okay, now I'm actually going to try -- Heyman, get in here and give me your best ideas" mode, but if there was another place for talent to go and be artists at a level where they get paid and maybe get treated a bit more humanely, run off the principles of pro-wresting -- fuck, I'd support it. In the end, I think it would be good for the industry.

I'd try and get a timeslot that isn't in the WWE's scope. The nostalgic side of me is charmed by the idea of a 6:05-8:05 Saturday style slot, but that might be archaic. Try and get a deal for 16 weeks or something like that. Try and get Jim Ross away from the WWE (not sure what his deal allows or if there is still one) and sign up all the stars that are free to work elsewhere (try for Danielson, Punk, Rey, Jericho, The Rock for appearances). Work with New Japan. "Hey Harold, look, you've got this Naito guy that is #2 there, but people are getting angsty about him not being the champ or whatever. While you're doing this Okada thing, maybe let him work some dates over here, we'll make him champion, you can talk about it and promote it, and eventually he can come back a bigger star for you guys..." You'll very quickly know whether this thing has a chance of working, and then you can turn it into a full-time thing, or consider doing a weekday show now that you have an audience that might follow you. But you might just want to stay in that timeslot if it is established. If not, you've got something you can sell on DVD or to streaming services -- maybe even the WWE.

I think there's room for wrestling that is more organic, with real promos, that goes for heat, with good commentating and that isn't afraid to admit it exists in a real world with other promotions, and isn't afraid to give them exposure in order to feel like it's emerging and cutting edge.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote