View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #11740
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball View Post
The new Eddie Murphy Dolemite film on Netflix is both a great bio and helluva good laugh. Murphy is great but special props to Wesley Snipes for coming in and livening the film up by setting an incredibly high standard of comedy.

Wesley Snipes should make more funny films.

Dolemite Is My Name - 3/4

A sympathetic bio of an enduring cultural reference and perfect example of "moment in time" film making. Dolemite, the original, is an embarrassingly bad film in modern review. I think even then it was more of a "so bad it's good" at the right time kind of film. To watch it now and expect anything other than that is a misunderstanding of why it mattered, why it was successful and why oh why anybody spent their time, effort and money making it.

All of those questions are answered with Eddie Murphy's new bio of the man behind the blaxploitation. In this film we see Rudy Ray Moore exploit an exploitative genre using a character he stole from an alcoholic hobo and yet we are shown why and how this is fair and also a huge boost to many people. The good balances out the bad, much like the film in question and the man behind it.

The performances of Snipes and Murphy are polar opposites but they work brilliantly, Snipes takes more than his fair share of the laughs and to be honest it is great seeing him do comedy.

I would recommend this, it is quite sweet as well as funny.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote