View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 12:25 AM   #11459
Jordan
It's a blood match!

Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Mother! (2017) - 5/5

I watched on Prime. Holy shit. I'm sure if I go back that I could find a lot of posts where you guys are polarized over this movie, that seems to be the case. So let me set my stage for you. I was searching "best horror on prime" and came across Mother! and started reading. The review made me think this was gonna be fucked up but not your typical horror film, if it is even that. And it's not.

Wow what an experience a true mind fuck. The story you should know is simple, an author with writers block and his wife are living in an old house they bought, it's fucking huge. While he is trying to put a word on paper she is fixing the whole house and seems content with it. There are some weird things going on in the house, feels like it could be ghosts, and then Ed Harris knocks on the door, ut oh you know this ain't good he's smoking a cigarette. He say's he's a doctor and "they told him that this was a bed and breakfast" ... everything goes well so they end up having him stay the night. Things are a bit weird. Why would you want a stranger in your house at all much less over night. Especially when you told him not to smoke in your house and he still does. Well it was the author who invited and he can't just tell him to hit the road cause his wife feels uncomfortable can he? No of course not. So the woman goes to bed and wakes up to the sound of someone getting sick and walks out to see her husband helping this man who seems to be naked vomit into the toilet. And then the next day his wife shows up (Michelle fucking Pfeifer) and starts making out with Ed Harris like they are teenagers....

Okay i'll stop there. Just know that the invasion of your personal space is HIGHLY at risk in this movie. The way it is shot, you are the mother, Jennifer Lawrence, so hot, and you feel all of this anxiety that she feels. So in a way it was a horror film like I've NEVER seen before. I've never felt SO ANXIOUS during a movie, holy shit. I wanted it to end after about an hour but I couldn't turn it off because it keeps topping itself and topping itself until of course a big fucking mind fuck climax.

The best thing about it is when you are done watching and you go online to find out what the fuck you just watched and the director is quoted as saying
Quote:
"How if you walk out of this movie are you not going to give it an 'F'? ... We wanted to make a punk movie and come at you. And the reason I wanted to come is because I was very sad and I had a lot of anguish and I wanted to express it."
Seriously, that's a relief. Because when I saw this it reminded me of Schenectady New York and that movie was a total mind fuck but I think that everything in it actually makes sense and fits into a puzzle somewhere. Where as this movie is a total mind bash and the director lets you off the hook by saying "don't try to figure it out, ain't happening, just feel the feels". This movie feels like a social experiment. Movies often make us laugh, cry, but to truly feel so anxious you put a pillow over your head because you can't take seeing someone have to deal with this shit... man that's an achievement of the moving picture if you ask me so 5/5 for Mother!
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote