View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #29
mitchables
bonjour

mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
I think he knew on some level she wouldn't return to file a report.

I'd not thought about that with Tyler. I actually thought more that he is a plant of Harry Mudd's and will work from the inside to smuggle Mudd back into Federation space that will somehow make things worse.
Also a solid possibility tbh.

The Klingon thing was a theory posited on Reddit, and there's weirdly a good amount of backing evidence for it. Some of it is specious but also kind of interesting:

Outside the show:
- Javid Iqbal, the actor credited as Voq (the albino), only has one credit on his IMDb page - DSC, and the only photo is of him in full Voq make-up.
- He was also the only main cast member not to appear on press tours in the lead-up to the show, and has no social media accounts. So, some people think that this is actually just a pseudonym for Shazad Latif, who plays Tyler; that Iqbal does not exist.
- Notably, Latif was originally cast as Kol - the Klingon who overthrew Voq - before being recast as Tyler. For... some reason.

Inside the show (directly from Reddit, because it's concise and explanatory enough):

The episode following this week's episode is titled "Lethe". The River Lethe comes from Greek Mythology, a river in the underworld whose waters would cause the drinker to forget their memories so they could be reincarnated into a new life.

If L'Rell tells Voq that he must sacrifice everything for his mission, consider this a two-fold hint. Voq is a spy, inserted into Starfleet under the guise of Lieutenant Ash Tyler, with the aid of the House of Mo'Kai, infamous for being a house of "deceivers" and "weavers of lies".

In order to resemble a human, Voq is infected with the Augment virus, dissolving his cranial ridges. While there are other means to do this aside from the Augment virus, it thematically fits with what he must do; sacrifice everything, including his own Klingon purity, including the torch he has borne for T'Kuvma, in order to secure victory.

We can infer that his memory is removed, as the title "Lethe" alludes to, so that he is better inserted as a Manchurian Candidate. In this regard, Voq sacrifices everything that composes his identity; he completely forsakes the entirety of his identity as a Klingon, his physicality and his soul, so that he can successfully infiltrate the Discovery as an agent so deeply undercover that he doesn't even know himself to be a spy.

This is further backed by the fact that this exact plotline has been used in licensed works dating back at least to 1983; FASA's RPG, Pocket Books novels such as Rules of Engagement, and reference book The Worlds of the Federation explain the TOS Klingons as Klingon-Human hybrids created to infiltrate the Federation. It also works as an interesting call-forward to Arne Darvin, which may also hint that Voq will be exposed by Lorca's pet tribble.

-------------

This is also a really good rundown.

I dunno, I could still see it going another way, but it's a pretty compelling/interesting argument, and it would make that tribble more than just a cutesy nod to TOS.
mitchables is offline   Reply With Quote