View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #99
drave
In His hands...

drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD View Post
Emailing PR firms that use sites where writers smear their own readership is not doxxing. And actual doxxing is not something anybody is fond of on either side (though we have caps of journalists advocating the doxxing of the wider known GG supporters).
Nothing that anyone is fond of, yet it continues to happen and the GG movement directly correlates with every doxxing that has occurred on the few journalists in the recent months/weeks. There is no concrete way to prove that GG activists are or aren't responsible for said doxxing (which is not what I am saying), other than "we don't condone it". Glad that everyone is honest and we can take them at their word. However, if the GG "movement" never occurred, the doxxing of said individuals never would have either.

Quote:
Again; this is reasoning I've rarely heard before. When advertisers pulled away from some of Fox News more toxic programs, I don't recall people being sympathetic about Glenn Beck's camera man who has nothing to do with Glenn's comments. When boycotts were called for Chick Fil A over their anti-gay stance, nobody spoke about how employees who are not anti-gay being affected.
Again, because most people are selfish and care only of their interests. Glenn Beck draws the ire of many, but it is because of his show that his camera man has his job. The Chick Fil A boycott involved many consumers flooding stores. That must have hurt their bottom line

Quote:
Yes, these things are horrible. I take it you're still equating GamerGate with these actions. After all my posts in this thread, I don't know what else to tell you on the matter. We don't condone it, we would love to root out anybody doing it in the movement's name. We never, ever celebrate these things.
Does not condone does not mean does not occur. In addition, they are a byproduct of the GG movement, like it or not.

Quote:
People on our side have been doxxed, including a journalists who looked into it and made a few articles having a syringe sent to his house. No threats (he's got some) or bad language (he gets harassed on Twitter all the time now) - but a syringe sent to his house. They have his address and are willing to make contact of some sort. This is happening to people on both sides and nobody wants that - except for opportunistic trolls who everybody already hates.
Their side, your side, doesn't matter. Unfortunately, this entire movement has reached a level of momentum that cannot be stopped any time soon. I believe someone will actually end up hurt or killed before things simmer down.

Quote:
I mean; the swatting bullshit - would you equate that to the CoD community? Or would you conclude that there's just assholes out there?
Perhaps I should have said "FPS" - as hardcore as you are in gaming, you feel the need to be pedantic.

Quote:
So us contacting PR firms being effective bothers you? It only matters if it works or not, right?
No, it doesn't bother me in the least. Doing harm to those who have zero involvement bothers me. Whether by proxy or not, it is a shitty consequence that was not thought about until too late.

Quote:
I guarantee if there were no forward movement on that (as it was initially), it would be laughed off. But since things are happening - legally - contacting companies with concerns is all of sudden a hit below the belt.
Never said it was below the belt. It is rather sloppy though which will produce unintended results when not properly executed, as in this entire scenario.

Quote:
You return to this 'collateral damage' argument and I will repeat that you and anybody else on this would never consider this if it was a company you were displeased with.
Thanks for forming my opinion for me.

Quote:
You don't seem worried that gamer community is dealing with collateral damage from the actions of a trollish few. You have argued this whole time for the journalists' sake.
I couldn't care less what journalist is dating another and frankly it is no one's business but their own. I have yet to see any collateral damage imposed on the gamer community.

Quote:
Do you not believe innocent GG people are being threatened and doxxed?
Never assumed that. To take your stance however: "the journos do not condone that activity". And to be real about it, neither side can prove anything, but will continue to feed the trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD View Post
Trolls aside; this is what many of these journalists consider reasonable:

"Trolls aside" - that is a troll right there. Anyone that actually pays attention to this entire situation knows that. Yet here you are, to bring an obvious troll/troll attempt into the fray.

Quote:
They pulled because of the pro-bully comments from a Gawker writer I mentioned just a few posts ago. She knows this. This is a classic shaming tactic of extreme liberals.
Or an OBVIOUS troll attempt which appears to have baited many, yourself included.

Both sides make fair points. However, just as in more crucial current events, the negative will shine through and everyone just ends up looking more dumb than when it started.

I take the stance that this entire situation, on ALL sides, started over something that was very petty, has been blown out of proportion and effectively done MORE damage to the entire industry than helped anyone at all.
drave is offline   Reply With Quote