View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 02:49 PM   #120
XL
Feeling Oof-y

XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepholio View Post
From the moment HHH announced it it came off as Romans had the title forever so heres a new one. Hes going to be going back to SD only and will be champion there and this title will be for RAW. Everyone is eligible to compete for it except for Roman Reigns, the SD champion because if he wins it then RAW still doesn't have a title. That was my takeaway from watching it live and I have no idea why everyone has been so confused about this.

I also don't get the complaint about SD guys getting a shot at the new title. Making it open like they have means you get the best out of everyone competing for it which is what a title should have if its to be taken seriously. Your inaugural champion is shown to be top quality across the board, not just RAW. It's not much but it makes the title a bit more serious. If a SD guy gets it it functionally becomes an extra draft pick for RAW, big whoop. Can immediately bring someone over the can shine at the top but otherwise wouldn't have the chance to given it seems like Roman is going to hold the title he has for at least another year.
This is all very valid from a business POV. I don’t think anyone is confused though. They’ve just done a draft to “shake the foundation of the WWE” or whatever hyperbole. This sets new lines at least right now. They established that the new belt would be for the brand that Roman didn’t go to. Then they set the tournament up to feature guys from the brand Roman is on. If they were opposing brands - which the idea of the split is predicated on - why the hell would SmackDown even want their guys competing for a Raw title if the end result is they lose a guy that they just drafted? And based on the precedent set by this same draft, if Raw Women’s champ Bianca Belair and SmackDown Women’s champ Rhea “Bloody” Ripley have remained on their drafted brands regardless of holding the other brands titles, why would a SmackDown guy winning a this new Raw affiliated title have to move to Raw?

They’ve told a needlessly contrived story that undermines the structure they’ve just set.
XL is offline   Reply With Quote