View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 01:30 AM   #74
mitchables
bonjour

mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
AND WE'RE BACK <3

premiere was fantastic. venture bros -- and archer, while we're at it -- utterly excels when it shakes up the status quo and burns down the house (literally, in this case). and the new setting of new york -- with a clean-ish slate, new characters, and reversed fortunes for everyone from the ventures and the monarchs to the entire guild of calamitous intent -- is crammed with potential and possibility and i am fucking STOKED

so much good stuff in this ep

- loved hank's rotating bieber wardrobes.

- great nod with "mr reachmore" (vale mr reachy).

- wide wale is a pretty great villain. strange portmanteau of kingpin and don corleone and... a whale... but probably a good replacement for the sort of 'white-collar monster-criminal' role mostly played sporadically by monstroso up till now. clearly gonna be a pretty big player (no pun) this season.

- crusader action league were amazing. was nice seeing a distinct dc/marvel bent to the new york heroes. greatly enjoyed the fallen archer (A+ name) and his blatant fusion of oliver queen and clint barton.

- loved "night dick". the whole thing. the concept and execution were beautiful.

- was good to see brown widow back too, loved his exchange with his teacher-bully.

- nice to see brock return as the ventures' bodyguard, but i have really fallen in love with sgt hatred over the past couple of seasons so i hope this yields something good for that character too.

- "i don't even care about the breast thing, i wanna do you! ... what happened?"

- h.e.l.p.er's feud with new/improved venture-bot thing was great, and had the exact resolution i wanted it to. nobody messes with h.e.l.p.er.

- the fallout from the sovereign's betrayal is the most interesting thing to happen to the guild in years. kind of love how monarch and 21 have been left at home to their own devices while dr. mrs. is at work. also loved the swerve about wide whale being after his arching rights to dr. venture rather than the obvious sex pest angle.

- meta joke about "diversity" in the council was pretty great.

- also enjoying the heightened screen time for radical left. i know he's a blatant two-face homage but he's done pretty brilliantly.

questions/discussion
- i was stoked to see dr. z and red mantle/dragoon hybrid back on the council of 13 (or seven atm, whatever), but didn't they turn themselves over to the OSI in exchange for amnesty during the events of all this & gargantua-2? are they moles in the guild? or are we just forgetting that they did that? vb is a show with continuity too thick for a rookie mistake like that, i would think, so i expect there's a reason they're there - whether at the OSI's command or because they've since severed ties, idk.

- where does this leave the order of the triad? orpheus was renting on doc's property; has he moved to new york too? will we ever get to see the sweet little magical pudding that is the alchemist ever again?

only seven weeks remain of this season so let's all enjoy this while we can before we have to wait another three years for the next one and put up with amateur whiners like rick & morty fans ("boo hoo, a year and a half until season three!" - get fucked.)
mitchables is offline   Reply With Quote