View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 AM   #42
Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers is a chill bro (7,500+)Kenny Powers is a chill bro (7,500+)Kenny Powers is a chill bro (7,500+)Kenny Powers is a chill bro (7,500+)Kenny Powers is a chill bro (7,500+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Is "The Cena Generation" the last new fan base?

It doesn't seem like wrestling has hooked kids since then -- what do you think?
There's still a market out there for the WWE waiting to be.....owned? There's two things that the WWE really need to do if they want to get back on track:

1) Invest in Character Development, and look at things from a long term perspective. I know it's difficult, but take a stand against shareholders. Man up, and stop trying to cater to their every nook and cranny by solely focusing on short term gains (which if we're being honest, isn't much). Invest heavily in character development for the wrestlers, and get wrestlers to connect with the audience. Give wrestlers more creative control, and let them come up with their gimmicks.

When you look at the "Attitude Era," the actual quality of wrestling wasn't that high. Bret and Shawn were gone before the peak of the Attitude era and so that in itself should tell you a lot. Outside of Austin/Vince, what really drove the WWE during this era were compelling characters, which ultimately lead to compelling storylines.

2) Storytelling in the ring: I mentioned this in another thread, but I have no idea what they're teaching down there in the Performance Center. Yes - the actual WRESTLING is quite high, but where's the storytelling? Where's the selling? Why are finishers being used as high spots? That's one reason why I'll watch a Randy Orton match any day of the week. The guy "gets it." Any young guy in the business right now should be watching Randy Orton matches while massaging their boners so to speak. No one understand ring psychology better than Orton.
Kenny Powers is offline   Reply With Quote