View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 11:52 PM   #280
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan X View Post
Fuck anyone who bitches about WWE using legends. Obviously it's the best shit.
I think you're oversimplifying.

It isn't so much that they just use legends in and of themselves. Its that they like to "trot out the old farts" as it were at the expense of building new stars. Yeah, Stone Cold was the man. 20 years ago. Pre injuries and in ring shape. He shouldn't be presented as still better than everybody on the active WWE roster right now collectively. Otherwise, why do I want to see anyone on the active roster? Your own company just told me they're all subpar scrubs to a guy younger/newer fans would only know tangentially at this point.

Anyone who gets themselves over they downplay as "flavor of the month", and the person they want folks to care about get overexposed ad nauseum to the point of X-Pac heat. They have gone away from the legends passing the torch by and large and instead have them steamroll the people we're going to see week on week. An old but perfect example is the time The Ascention was gang raped by all the "legend" tag teams including the New Age Outlaws... who ironically really got their start by going over LoD. Imagine if back then the Road Warriors and Demolition and Powers of Pain and the Headshrinkers just squashed and embarassed them. They wouldn't be a "legend" team now, because nobody would have given a fuck.

They usually end up presenting it as their new guys not being worth seeing. If that is on purpose or not is a totally different debate. It's kind of like a bookend to new NXT callups that are hot and strong coming in to be jobbed to oblivion. Unless they're pet projects like Roman or Corbin.

A romp down nostalgia alley is fine, but you don't have to walk on anyone's back to get there.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote