View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #25
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Vince prob wont directly respond but will instead go on a talent raid and try to scoop up as many people that aew is interested in as possible. The thing is this could end up like the Monday night wars in that vinces competition will have deeper pockets than he does.
WWE have been in talent acquisition mode for a while, but honestly if I'm talent I'm holding off right now.

Trying to think as strategically as possible, and assuming Vince really does want to do his best to sabotage AEW, for whatever petty reason (or maybe he just wants to make the work for it), two outside-the-expected possibilities I'll throw out there:

1. WWE strikes an agreement with New Japan.

-This seems so out of character for Vince this millennium, but WWE has worked with New Japan before. They've got those odd agreements with UK promotions and EVOLVE. I'm sure everyone involved in AEW is prepared for an environment where they aren't going to get New Japan's assistance, but it doesn't really make sense for NJPW to not work with AEW. That is unless, of course, something bigger comes along. If Vince really wanted to make sure the biggest story was something other than AEW, him showing up with Daniel Bryan to New Year's Dash would grab those headlines.

-This would also cut out a lot of the perceived leverage AEW has to sign guys like AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura, Kenny Omega and even Chris Jericho. If you want to work for #2, then you have to work for #1 and can't work for #3.

2. Vince McMahon announces that WWE programming is still going to air Tuesday even after SmackDown moves.

-This seems much more WWE. Oversaturate the market. Hell, I could see this actually backfiring on them, because the last thing we need is more WWE content, but I've thought this is at least a possibility even prior to AEW. But there's no doubt that a WWE produced show is probably going to kick AEW's ass in the ratings, should they go head-to-head. Announcing that he's not going to leave Tuesdays might be a way to scare off television networks that are considering giving AEW a sizable deal.

-WWE has to restructure a lot when they move to Fridays. WWE crew have been working Monday and Tuesday for years and years. With the current system in place, WWE could keep things going as they normally do, try and sell a two-hour Tuesday block and make even more of a profit, and use a different team on Fridays for SmackDown, maybe even giving it a different production feel. I imagine they'd probably run house shows on Tuesdays after the move anyway, and they aren't doing too well business-wise, so why not just make a TV show and try and make money out of it?
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote