View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #1597
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Watched the angle. Marvellous. Ishii trying to grab the leg of KENTA after the GTS was fucking heartbreaking. Shibata has that big dick energy. KENTA has a glorious shit-eating face. Even the Tongans, who I’m not super-invested in bumped like crazy.

I also watched the final. Jay White has come a LONG way. I like that there is at least an intention for him to be a different sort of wrestler there. Ibushi is cut like hell. Didn’t love the match though. I guess I just don’t get Japanese psychology. Ibushi’s legs are hurting but his default strategy is to do a bunch of moonsaults. Even Jay White is like “hit me” and just stands around waiting to get knocked out. It turned into a bunch of moves at the end. Felt like they could have truncated it and left the crowd with more energy and wanting more. I guess it was the G1 Climax though.

Dave Meltzer overrated the hell out of it. He was like “Ibushi did these spots on one leg.” He didn’t, lol. Kevin Kelly is someone I generally like, but he was pretty Michael Cole-ish with some of his rehearsed lines. It’s sweet he still gets into wrestling though.

I think Jay White is a good investment for New Japan. He seems interested in telling a story. As he gets more and more comfident, he will settle down more and more and is going to be more in-line with the great storytellers than the best acrobats. Not that his execution wasn’t great. It was superb. But he’s my sort of wrestler way more than an Omega or Ibushi. He’s going to be more akin to a Tanahashi or Okada, I think.

A lot of people aren’t yet sold on him, it seems. I get that, but I think my irregular viewing helps, because this was my first watch of him in months, and it’s scary how much better he has gotten in that time. He was a deer in the headlights when he first went against Tanahashi as Switchblade, but it’s like Gedo, Tanahashi and/or whoever is involved in this push knew it was going to click way before it was anywhere close to clicking. Like they knew he was going to be adaptable when he was thrown into the deep end after a bit of meandering.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote