View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 01:01 AM   #324
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Big Ten Championship refs are going to be brutal towards NU. No way the Big Ten wants NU to win that game especially if it would prevent Michigan/OSU from getting into the playoffs.

Rooting for an upset of one or both of those two, then the lower ranked of the two winning The Game.
Not necessarily. It would just mean they could fulfill the wet dream and add another SEC team to the top 4.

Ohio State is all the way out. There is zero chance they can climb back from 10 in two games to be in a position to replace that other team with a conference championship win. The committee made that mistake twice already; once by giving my beloved Buckeyes a berth when they didn't deserve it, and the following year by denying a better performing team because of the shortcomings of the previous "benefit of the doubt" ranking push. I think those two post season results should have been flipped (but I also think that a few seasons before that, Ohio State shouldn't have lost to Florida for the National Championship, because they should have played Georgia... not just because they were a team they could have beaten, but because Georgia got hosed on that final ranking.)

TTUN would have to knock off Ohio State, Northwestern, AND Alabama just to play for the National Championship, unless someone ahead of them slips up and bumps them up to #3. If the cards go that way, Northwestern could totally play spoiler by being Big Ten champs. If the schedule were how the original setup for the Big Ten to have a championship game (you know, as referenced in that error I made awhile back), this would potentially have been the year Ohio State and Xichigan would have played twice in a row in a single season.

But I'm not going to write anyone off. You know where my loyalties are, but we have to see this through one week at a time. After having a shitty time against Purdue and Nebraska, I'm totally not looking past the usually abysmal Maryland.

But, all things considered, all this still makes me a firm believer in a 16 team pool. 8 is fine, and an obvious eventuality, but 16 is only one additonal week of 8 games that would be populated by schools playing in lesser bowl games anyhow. It would lend more credibility to the entire Top 25, eliminate the "outside looking in" squads like your UCFs or Boise States or TCUs or West Virginias not getting a shot while their school is in position to be relevant for a year or two, and they get to keep their multiple SEC team fantasy alive and well.