View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #10921
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Fitzcarraldo - 3/4

A slow, deliberately frustrating journey through an extremely hostile natural environment mirrored back in the plot, the production problems and in the wait for something big to finally happen.
It does have to be admired as an absolutely unnecessary exercise, an almost extravagant use of real physical manpower and presumably a whole bunch of human rights violations.

The story is that of an ambitious man run down by lack of aptitude, the film a perfect reflection of it on screen and in it's well recorded, torturous production history.

I don't think the film is as good as the story it tells or the methods Herzog used to tell it but it is a sight to see knowing how it was made. Throw in the documentary "Mein Liebster Feind" as proof of Herzog and Kinski's completely insane working relationship and it's hard to imagine how this was ever finished.

Kinski plays a role Jason Robards had filmed 40% of, contracted dysentery and quit. Mick Jagger was supposed to be in it too but due to the crazy delays he dropped out and was never replaced.

This is a noble attempt at realism through legitimacy but I feel like Klaus Kinski was brought in in desperation and it shows. He's not who I'd have cast, the character needs to be more sympathetic rather than utterly pathetic.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote