View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #38786
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droford View Post
Wrestle Kingdom 9 was the first NJPW show I ever watched and I was fascinated by the Togi Makabe vs Tomohiro Ishii match for the Never belt. Those two guys just beat the shit out of each other for like 15 minutes. The never title matches are always that way it seems and I like it oddly ..
I think the NEVER Title was originally supposed to be like the NXT Title, just without a developmental territory, but then they decided to put it onto the harder-hitting guys to develop one of those King's Road style (not sure if that's the correct term) brawls. Bad-asses like Ishii and Makabe often get the belt, and they've used it to get Goto over. Kind of like the belt being like that. Without officially announcing it, it'd be like if the IC or US Title became something of a "Hardcore Title" without the WWE officially declaring it as such, and you'd matches like HHH/Cactus Jack for it, and if Orton was struggling to find his feet for it, he'd go after it and win it after a hard-fought match. I dunno if that's making any sense at all.

I really like the championship scheme in New Japan. When it comes to the "Big Four" anyway. The Heavyweight Title is for the standard-bearer. The IC Title is for the legend that they want to promote and occasionally headline shows, but they're moving away from. The US Title is sort of the "hottest" act that they kind of want to get over with certain segments of their audience, bring in different sort of fans, etc, and the NEVER Title is what we were just talking about.

In WWE, the Heavyweight Champ would be Roman Reigns, the IC Champ would be Cena, the US Champ would be AJ Styles and, I suppose lifting the NXT Title to this level, would probably be someone like Braun Strowman. That would be kind of cool.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote