View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 12:16 AM   #14
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Oh, I absolutely vote Outer Worlds. Even objectively, since the only game I haven't played on this list is Borderlands 3 (and as much as I like Borderlands... meh). Not great at fighters, but MK - while fun - is more of the same. Fallen Order feels like an apology for the Bunglefront games plural... was okay, but you can tell there wasn't as much focus on it as opposed to a game with 100% publisher backing. Maybe a sequel/future title in the same vein with no attached bullshit will be "the" game. And I made my thoughts known about Resident Evil 2 in the other thread but will rehash here: I don't like the rare ammo / flimsy knives + can't tell if the zombie is actually dead after two full clips of headshots bullet sponging nature of the turned populace. It was like Capcom pulled a Nintendo and wanted to make stuff new for newness sake. The remake of the first was fine with the surprises of extra rooms and paths, the crimson head buisness, and the jumpscares not happening when and where you expect them if you were familiar with the orignal. This, I just wished I could pick up a sturdy blunt object from the background and use that to cave skulls in instead of having to try to dodge everything in narrow corridors for hours.

Outer Worlds needs no explanation. However, after all my exposition from disqualifying everything else, that would be a dick move. I've expoused my love for nearly all things Fallout forever - since the demo for the original on PC in the 90s. I felt the same way about this game that I felt about playing that title then. Even after the sigh of relief that there was no meta fuckery with premium currency or loot boxes or added external marketplaces, it feels like not just another "spiritual successor" in what is now a chain of spiritual succession tracing back to the original Wasteland, but also a jumping point of a whole new viable IP that can rise from the ashes of the memories of all the others... until some corporation 10 years from now eventually fucks this up from greed as well, and a new studio will have to make some other alternate retro-future "post apocalypic role playing game" that makes people yearn for the days that this game appeared and continues the cycle.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote