View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #13853
Emperor Smeat
Former TPWW Royalty

Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Seems Kojima's recent habit of bloating the budget for his games ended up backfiring on him since a new game his Kojima Productions studio was working on recently got cancelled.

Also seems Death Stranding sales on PS4 were not that great compared to expectations based on his praise focusing around the game being profitable in terms of breaking even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoid
"We surpassed the amount we needed to make a profit, so I think it sold well enough to be called a 'success,' recoupment of development costs included," said Kojima in an interview with LiveDoor News, translated by Gematsu. "We'll release the PC version soon and have already secured enough profit to prepare for what’s next, so there’s no need to worry."

Later in the interview, Kojima noted that Kojima Productions was already beginning work on its next release, but also lamented a "big project," that had recently fallen through. "I'm a bit upset about that," laughed Kojima. "Well, that sort of thing happens often in this industry."

Given years of anticipation, expensive production, Hollywood casting, and all-round buzz of Death Stranding being an "industry-changer," I can't help but feel that the title being referred to as merely "profitable" suggests that it didn't see the groundbreaking sales predicted. But this is a risk all creators take when releasing esoteric or left-field projects.
https://www.destructoid.com/hideo-ko...h-592797.phtml
Emperor Smeat is offline   Reply With Quote