View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 05:39 AM   #402
The Rogerer

The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I heard it was impossible to be attracted to unreal women.

Week One Field Report:

This is the most I've ever grown in Street Fighter. I've now Dunning Krugered my way to know I've only started.

COMBOS
"What's a combo?" Me before last week. I knew what combos where, but never really thought to apply them. Time in training mode with Dummy set to 'Block after first attack' is all I needed to get started. Went on with Chun Li

I originally started with stuff like cr.lk,st.lp just to get the rhythm of combos.
Early on I discovered cr.mk, legs
and then realised I could cancel the legs into the CA, so that was the first time I had a viable option for my special beyond prayer and wild hope.

Since then I had a brief experiment/look around and have been drilling:
cr.lp, st.mp, cr.mk, HK legs
b.hp, HK legs

I found the 4 part one above pretty hard to get the timing on, I found I could do it very reliably if I paid attention to the hits happening on the screen. That sounds obvious, but when you're first practicing these things it's very easy to zone out. I'm just on the earliest stages of being able to hit confirm with these things.

I break up my training sessions with online matches because you just need the experience. I've largely taken my ego out of it, to not be defined by wins and losses - I caught it creeping back in at times, when I have 2 wins in ranked I start thinking about the 3 consecutive wins trophy and it goes. I tried to have one more win before I finished and it gets you stressed going into a match. My win rate is somewhere just below 50% at the moment, but that should be irrelevant.

WHEN I WIN
I wouldn't say I have too clear of a strategy at the moment. My blocking and punishing is getting there (from non-existent to existent), but my punish will just reflex to a sweep. I know I have to get there with my combos. I can get my CA combo out sometimes but at the moment I've a little too much on my plate to hitconfirm that. I can usually see that the other player doesn't have an effective punish and is generally a bit panicky. Some people just don't know how to follow up at all. Very frequently I'll see Ryu's give up the fireball game when I counter the first with my own. Then they stand and shit themselves while I walk in behind a lp fireball. It's alright, I won't know what to do with you when I get there.

I would say I lose to:
- Good players
- Good old solid Ryu players
- Sometimes very bad players who jump in a lot because they'll just get enough heavies in that I'm not punishing frequently enough and my block/response is off. I see my old self in them.
- Jumping in. Not all the time! I can block it, I think Chun Li's back HK seems very situational and will be tricky to learn to AA with. I wonder if her standard HK is any good for this with it's massive reach. I'm making fast progress with this though.
- Sweeps. I am blocking, but I will reflexively come out with a sweep that gets countered by their sweep (esp. Nash and Cammy). I know I have to work out the timings on these, and the sweep is a reflexive bad habit.
- Zangief: Players frequently have a good arsenal of combos that seem to have massive range and I haven't worked out his hurtboxes yet, so I'm in trouble.

Not that you see that many. Mostly Ryu, a lot of Cammys as of yesterday, some Nashes.

I can see the appeal of Cammy but she's a little too fancy. I know Chun Li is possibly the best, but I like that she's built around just core SF competency and that's what I need.
The Rogerer is offline   Reply With Quote