View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 12:20 AM   #28
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD View Post
Mortal Kombat, despite the abysmal sequel 2yrs later, is never credited for lighting the spark that eventually led to the martial arts resurgence in Hollywood (which made for a transition the very next year in 1996 with New Line's Jackie Chan showcase Rumble in the Bronx). MK also introduced the world to how well karate and techno music mixes together. The fights are still amazing and I very gladly call it one of the best 90s martial arts movies period.

People who cite MK1 as an example of terrible game adaptations makes me wonder if they watched the damn thing.
Especially since what we had until then to go by was: the universally panned Super Mario Bros, the 90 minute commercial for Super Mario Bros 3 The Wizard, Street Fighter and Double Dragon.

My only problem with the first MK movie was something that actually soured me on ANY hype and adverts for new movies to this day - the fact that between the three different versions of "the making of", the trailers, and interviews with b-roll segmented in between questions, the only part of the movie I hadn't seen by the time it actually came out was the fight with Reptile. Otherwise, I had seen the entire rest of the film aside from the credits, just out of order.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote