View Single Post
Old 10-15-2022, 03:38 AM   #37
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
This post is sponsored by Bamm-Bamm and Pebbles

Mortal Kombat 2: Personal Thoughts and Review

OK, this is where shit got real for me as far as being into Mortal Kombat. I put in my Personal Top 10 over in the Rate the Game retrospective thread and for good reason. Virtually everything from the first game takes a huge leap forward. The visuals, the combos, the atmosphere, the roster, the finishing moves, and the story. That last one is especially key as a lot of the lore of the series comes from this game. The curtain is pulled back a bit and we're shown the malevolent forces bent on conquering us that were mere hushed whispers in the first game. Future fan favorites and mainstays like Kitana, Kung Lao, and Mileena debuted here. And then, of course, the main motherfucker himself, Shao Kahn.

I first caught wind of the sequel when a classmate had an issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly where it was the main feature. It had a few of the new characters (the actual actors in the photos) showcased on the cover and the article, like Kung Lao and Baraka. It looked so fucking cool and so mysterious.

Then this bad boy dropped and it was a whole new ballgame. It was the talk of the lunch table and everyone had their own ideas of what some of the secrets were and how to get them unlocked and what relation each character had to another. I'm not sure what spawned the whole Nudality and Animality nonsense but with the expanded number of ways to end a match, it's not surprising. I'm almost positive I spotted this machine in more establishments than any other. It was a God damn juggernaut and I still think it holds up as one of the better entries.

My main character: Oh, man, this one's tough. Kitana was insane with the shit you could pull off with her. I dug the backstories of the newbies like Jax and Kung Lao and of course it was cool to see Reptile as a playable character. Overall, though, with things getting more robust as far as character development went, this was the first game where I was beginning to lean more towards Sub-Zero.

Best Fatality: Kung Lao's Hat Slice. Come on, the fucker splits a bitch down the fucking middle. That's just all kinds of awesome.

Best Friendship: Kung Lao gets the nod here again. His Rabbit Out of the Hat Friendship is still funny to this day.

Worst Fatality: Liu Kang's Cartwheel Uppercut: Because the people demanded it, I suppose. Seriously, was there any good reason to bring it back?
M-A-G is offline   Reply With Quote