View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #293
Shisen Kopf
Fire up Chips!

Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Shisen Kopf makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by road doggy dogg View Post
I still kinda just view this whole mess in the same light as the type of people who bitch about Fox News (or CNN, or whatever) being terrible then making no effort to find better alternative news sources to get proper coverage. If Polygon or Kotaku or IGN or whatever are so bad, why continue to patronize their sites and give them hits? Why not find a blogger who is similar-minded to you and read their reviews?

For example, I don't necessarily agree with a lot of his rationale but I really enjoy reading Tom Chick's reviews of games. He gets a lot of flak because MetaCritic includes his scores (which are on a subjective 5-star system) into their aggregate, but I find his reviews perfectly lay out his thoughts and feelings on the games. For example, he gave The Last of Us 3 out of 5 stars, citing its awful gameplay but praising the storytelling and character elements of the game. I loved TLoU but totally understand his viewpoint and can respect his opinion. Yet, people see a "60%" score and lose their goddamn minds because NUMBERS!!!!! without reading the review. It's no different from all the stupid fanboys on IGN who go apeshit if the PS3 version of a game gets 8.4 while the 360 version gets an 8.5. At the end of the day it's a goddamn stupid number, when in essence the two reviews are probably almost identical.

This kind of thing happens all the time. I'm guilty of it too kinda. If I'm looking at a list of reviews for a game that is universally getting 8.5/10 or 9/10 ratings and there's an outlier that shows 5/10 or 6/10, obviously you're more drawn to that review. A lot of times it's just crappy clickbait from some hack, but I tend to read those reviews more thoroughly than one that rates a game 9/10 and includes a few bullet points of things they liked about the game when it's clear they only put maybe 8 hours into it.

As per usual I'm going way off on tangents BUTTTTTTT my overall message is it should be on smarter consumers to interpret the information and opinions that are presented to them. I still can't wrap my brain around how someone is so personally slighted or affronted by a game being favorably reviewed unjustly by sites that "they" (the supposed "TRUE GAMERS") obviously hold very little regard for. It's like getting pissed off that a shitty movie won the Best Picture Oscar then making a shitload of tweets stating how much you think the Oscars are bullshit. Why does it bother you so much? Fucking hipsters.

I get the larger implications and slippery slope effect of being apathetic towards the "larger" review sites, but going on some crusade for journalistic integrity seems awfully misguided when the best ammunition these clowns have is harassing those who they don't agree with.

whatever I need another damn coffee
I give this post an 8.4. Now if you were to post this at rajah it would only be an 8.1
Shisen Kopf is offline   Reply With Quote