View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #9790
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Southland Tales - 3.5/4

One of the sporadic offerings from the director of Donnie Darko, and a better film in my opinion. This is a film for a contemplative mood, a film to make you wonder about genre and style. The director uses actors known for playing outlandish characters or for giving over the top performances in lowest common denominator comedies and other genre films and he interweaves musical performances and choreography to give the film a sort of musical American-Manga feel.

This is deceptive and appears incredibly low brow at first glance. A bit shiny and plastic, like the box is worth more than the toy until you open it up and feel the weight and see the quality.. The actors and the style would be hugely off putting to many critics/students/connoisseurs of film and it possibly put people in a state of unease which I think has coloured the reviews with accusations of tackiness, poor direction and a confusing plot.
I feel that way about Donnie Darko and conversely I enjoyed Southland Tales a great deal and feel it is a far more worthy and sincere film than the disingenuous and pretentious, Donnie Darko.

I see similarities with Japanese cinema and comics in this flick. I think it may be a bit of an homage.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote