View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 12:14 AM   #5
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
It's not just directional input, and it depends on the weapon. Not simply the weapon type, but the specific weapon.

Some of the assorted bookshelves have the inputs for some of those weapons, and tells you which specific weapons they are used with (for example, one of the first ones are for the Karate Shoes you start with and another one you'll apparently find/buy later, but the next, slightly stronger variant you come across, the input doesn't work.)

I just got my hands on a rapier (which also has an input combo). The speed of attack and reach of a short sword is a nice, middle of the road option between guns and massive fuckoff weapons (replaced the Claymore with an axe. In another nice touch, it looks like the hit box is where the blade is as opposed to being just a simple more powerful swap for said Claymore - you can miss small targets like bats with a late swing.)

I like how the "SotN Library" is frontloaded. I'll prob'ly find it mildly annoying later when I have to backtrack massively for something I want to do/buy, but it is way better than stumbling across it way later by accident while I'm lost like I did on that game (and I needed to find it to progress). I was able to do the first few quests in a fairly self-contained manner, as the rewards for one helped serve as the request for another. And I only say mildly annoying since I came across what looks like it may be a teleport room, but I'm we'll see about that later.

About the only things I have legit complaints about are how certain shard spells are omnidirectional, but your basic weapons are not. It feels like it would make sense for something like a spear or a gun to at least attack in 4, 5, or 8 directions, but it is only straight ahead. I find myself relying on spells more than I really want to if an enemy is out of reach of a weapon that seems like it should be hitting... so I have to farm candles or hit a save room constantly to keep my MP up.

Also, I wish there were some sort of hotswap of primary weapons, or some variation of the Alucard two-handed thing. I initially thought that's what the two slots were, but the second slot is equipped gun ammo (that stays equipped even if you aren't using a gun). What if I need to swap between a whip and a dagger? I have to pause and dig through my inventory each time. Should it be neccessary to pause, open, scroll, select, unpause, just to try a weapon, and if it isn't as effective as I would need it to be in said instance, repeat that process multiple times? That doesn't really encourage trying everything so much as finding one thing that is fairly useful for a wide range of enemies out of sheer convenience.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote