View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #11918
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
End Of Watch - 3.5/4

Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena star in a “found” footage police procedural with as much behind it in natural charisma and acting ability as it does in plot substance and realism. Two LAPD police officers self document their daily routines as they uphold the law in their community until they are hit listed by the gang that they are working to put away. It is a perfect blend of genres and the underlying theme of justice at any cost has been updated to feel more like "justice at all costs" and I think that was a marvellous decision by the director David Ayer.
The plot is not the highlight of this film, the working relationship and friendship between the leads is and as far as acting chemistry goes this is some of the finest work I have ever seen from Pena and Gyllenhaa. Emotionally explosive and chillingly prescient, this is a jigsaw as beautiful when disassembled as it is completed. A masterfully made dramatisation of cop shows with an ante up every few scenes just to keep your journey to the end as emotional as possible.
Michael Pena could easily have walked away with an award for this performance as it is the best use of his smart-ass schtick that he has become so famous for outside of comedy roles. I could watch this film all day long, it is as close to “Training Day” as any film has ever gotten so far.

This is an excellent film and one that I will watch again because I know it will feel like I'm meeting up with some old friends.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote