View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 03:40 PM   #1188
The Miz
Clutch Poster

The Miz has a great deal of rep (15,000+)The Miz has a great deal of rep (15,000+)The Miz has a great deal of rep (15,000+)The Miz has a great deal of rep (15,000+)The Miz has a great deal of rep (15,000+)The Miz has a great deal of rep (15,000+)The Miz has a great deal of rep (15,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonErich Lives
I'm fine, clearly being a Seattle fan has you confused about sports.
What does Seattle have to do with anything? I love when posters are clearly losing arguments to me and start to talk about the Mariners even if there is no relation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEL
You brought up the 115 AB and the 2 weeks.
Let's break this down:
1. David Ortiz has 115 more at bats than Travis Hafner.
2. Travis Hafner missed 2 weeks in July with a face injury. This missed time cause him to miss probably 50-60 at bats.
3. Travis Hafner has had several days off throughout the season which has caused him to have even less at-bats than Ortiz.
4. Nowhere did I state that all of 115 at-bats came in the 2 weeks. You assumed that, then put your brain on double-duty and made a clever crack about triple headers.
5. Part of your argument for Ortiz being better was that he had more HR's and RBI's. By your logic, Brad Wilkerson has been a better power hitter than Barry Bonds this year.
6. I then brought up the stats OBP and OPS which are averages and therefore not penalizing to someone with less AB's. You had no response to these stats.
7. You stated that you would give it to Ortiz over Hafner because "[Hafner] has not been there all year to help his team". I asked you this question: If David Ortiz missed 2 weeks due to injury like Travis Hafner had, would you then select Travis Hafner as your MVP? Would you consider Ortiz not a worthy candidate because he wasn't there all year to help his team? I'm still waiting for an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEL
Yes, September CAN be important, but what if a team is in a crappy divison and has things wrapped up by September 1st and their star player leads the league or top 3 in offense, good defense even gold glove and has won many games with his offense. Does that player not get MVP because they maybe had a bad September when there was nothing on the line?
This applies to neither Hafner, Ortiz, nor Rodriguez so I'm not sure why you're asking me this but I'll answer anyway. I would vote a guy MVP if he had a shitty September but his team had wrapeed up the division like then, but only if he was the catalyst when the team took the huge lead. If the Red Sox had a 15 game lead on the Yankees entering Sept and Ortiz hit .210 in Sept I would not take it away from him, granted that he had a monster stretch and led the team when Boston got that 15 game lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEL
Really, keep repeating yourself all you want, I understand you don't have much to talk about with the Mariners, Seahawks, Sonics... So, keep going.
Yawn. Who was better last year, Sonics or Celtics? Yeah. And the Seahawks made the playoffs last year and are in a good position to this year. Am I not entitled to an opinion if 1 of the 3 teams I like is bad? Another failed attempt at being funny with a cheap shot. You are dumb.