View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 12:51 AM   #7411
Tom Guycott
Wrestling Marks Rejoice!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destor View Post
really poorly written ep of what if. in this premise T'Challa leaves his family for the literal 1st random strangers the come along. this at this point is the canonical mcu T'Challa. it completely undermines his entire character.

and the entire episode has this little attention to the characters authenticity. whats the point of a what if if theres no integrity in the story telling to exist in a version of a time line that resembles something tha feels like a logical extension into a possible potential multiverse?

this is much closer to slap stick than what if.
I liked it, and I didn't see it that way.

I realize this is going to sound pretentious, but looking at both episodes so far, it feels like they're trying to tell stories of nature vs nurture. The only flaw is that the chunks are so bite-sized that it almost feels incomplete, even as one-off stories... but it doesn't seem insincere to me. Peggy "sacrificed" herself rather than let the experiment go completely to waste in those few precious seconds. Steve still wanted to help. T'Challa is more learned, diplomatic, and jovial than the recently orphaned and greiving Peter.

With T'Challa, they said it right there at the beginning, "right/wrong place at the right/wrong time". It wasn't simply just them screwing up and not abducting Quill, but they caught him at the right moment where he felt like he was cooped up and shut in away from seeing anything else outside of Wakanda. If aliens strolled up to me in 1988, I'd have prob'ly done the same thing. Being a dumbass, curious kid who has the potential to go up into space would have absolutely overrode most fear and logically thinking about abandoning everything I know since I was OBSESSED with space back then.

About Thanos being "a pussy" - it's similar to the impression I got from both Infinity War movies: Older Thanos did the work, calculated, put in the effort, sacrificed to "win". Younger Thanos just saw his variant succeed and figured it was a foregone conclusion, and as such got cocky and sloppy. Similarly, the Thanos here stopped being that guy, so he got soft. The difference would be like fighting Mike Tyson in his prime and fighting Mike Tyson now. I'm not talking age, I mean back when he hated the world and trained like a beast as opposed to being the more mature, wiser, calmer, higher Tyson. He can still knock someone out assuredly, but just in some random street fight, he is not in the same condition or headspace he was back then... same here with Thanos. He's not the terror of the universe anymore. It took two of what *we* know of as his strongest leftenants to actually eventually get an advantage on him, but it wasn't exactly instant.

But also, in the end, these are basically throwaway stories. This existence is basically doomed because Ego apparently got what he wanted, but that's just what went down in this particular cosmic coin flip.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote