View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #429
The Rogerer

The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Rogerer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Let's not forget that a lot of the context of this is being used springboard to lash out at 'SJW's, criticise harrassment and other things that piss people off. If you want to act that way, knock yourself out, but it's annoying when the manifesto has fatal problems.

Everyone is invited to criticise the medium. The notion that developers and publishers shouldn't be subject to things they don't intend is a show of bias, which is only a problem when you're calling against bias. When I myself know how childish, materialistic and mercanary the games industry is, it isn't hard to connect the dots and see where these ideas are coming from. Gamers are having a hard time coming out of the treehouse, but it's better out there. You cannot hide behind your intent in this world. Imagine saying that about any other medium. Politics would be a wonderfully rosy place.

If I produce a game, and someone makes a judgement on what I presented, I would be a coward or an idiot to go "Actually, that's not fair, I didn't mean to do that, I'm special". Stories don't come from heaven, they bounce out of the collective culture. Especially when you're producing something where your express intent is mass appeal. You can't claim the precious artist defence when they are stacking them high and selling them low. They're stepping into the slings and arrows.

Come to think of it,
I did produce a game at university where I was asked to change the subject matter because it was insensitive. It seems funny at the time because we were young and stupid, but it was clear that it wasn't the best idea. So we changed it. Oh, my artistic sprit died that day! Surely the angels will weep as the oppresive world kills things that are too beautiful to exist. Where was our freedom of speech? No, me, the artist, AN artist, was just being a stupid prick.
The Rogerer is offline   Reply With Quote