View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #27
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
Why do people get so worked up with characters being written as something other than white? I can't say I'm a huge fan of Buffy but I don't think her being white is a big part of her character.

It's only when you change a characters race from white to something else that people get upset. I mean, whether you believe in him or not, Jesus was from the middle east but we're totally cool with him consistently being portrayed as a white guy with blue eyes.

There are always people who go on about casting choices when racial lines are crossed. Idris Elba touted as the new James Bond has become a running joke with rather unsavoury "not in my lifetime" connotations attached to it.
Look at the criticism about Natalie Portman in "Annihilation" playing a white version of an originally non white character.

People bring this shit up all the time. You don't have to adapt things 100% faithfully otherwise why did Placido Damingo get to play Othello in the 80's? People still accept him as the greatest of his generation and he was in blackface.

No matter the ethnicity of the person inheriting the role or the ethnicity in which the role originated, someone will bring it up in the media saying that it's not faithful to the source.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote