View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 AM   #17
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Finished up the book. I'm taking my happy ass to see this day one (read: in a number of hours).

I initially wasn't excited about it, as I had zero context. All I saw a few months ago was so much internet nerd rage about people "sick of hearing about it". Then, I finally saw the trailer, but without the context of story, it kinda seemed like Wreck-It Ralph and TRON 2 had a baby in a race to make a movie version of Paul's Boutique.**

Then, I got turned on to the audiobook, and, yeah... the references all spoke to me like a soulmate. I got to mark out for shit like Swordquest.

Even if the flick doesn't live up to the hype or the book, I seriously doubt I will regret going. This will basically be an early birthday present.

**What I mean is the fact that if it wasn't still the proverbial Wild West of beat sampling, it is well documented that Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique would have been one of, if not the most expensive album to produce from all of the songs, movie clips, and notable sound effects contained therein. This movie might circumvent a sizable portion of such a problem given how monolithic Disney has become and properties that would have required several deals to clear just a few short years ago are now pretty much in-house. Also, it will be interesting to note what gets sidestepped. For example, without getting spoilery, I think Iron Giant is actually an analogue for something else that either couldn't be licenced, or they just didn't want to bother with it and used something readily available.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote