View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 03:09 AM   #54
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan View Post
You can’t have an Austin 3:16 moment in today’s environment. But let’s not use that as an excuse to call all of our favorites “wastes of potential Austins”.

Only Fandango and a VERY small handful of others over recent years deserve that title.
That's kinda not what I meant. I'm not dubbing Rollins or Kingston that thing, I'm saying they'll ride right by that shit if they find one... but they'll be hard pressed to find one to begin with, because, as a company, they've tried exceedingly hard to get folks to care so little about so much the roster.

They've managed to turn former IWGP Champion and licence to print Yen, Shinsuke Nakamura from "OH MY GOD, WWE SIGNED HIM?!? IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING?!?" to "... meh" in just a short couple of years. And he isn't anywhere near anyone's favorite, but I have to ask again: who the fuck cares about Mojo Rowley? We have not been given any reason to. No journey to follow. No matches to speak of. No angles or progression. Just the initially corny and very, very, VERY annoying gimmick, and... poof. Now, he's just there. Nearly every former NXT Champion is just there. Almost everyone is just... there. And any time they start getting any semblance of something good coming along (like, think about how bananas it would have been if Samoa Joe had beaten Brock Lesnar for the title instead of being killed dead with a single F5 in the center of the ring and then dropped down the card) they stop it in its tracks.

There's multiple reasons why an Austin wouldn't happen again: correct time and place being chief among them, but I think the point isn't so much of finding that calibur of talent as it is being able to capitalize on if something that golden came their way again. Downplaying how popular CM Punk was. Trying to sidestep Daniel Bryan. Looking completely beyond the Ryder Revolution (which, ironically, was the thing that made the company look at "this internet thing" a little closer instead of just continuing to run with the perjorative assumption it's a total of like twelve neckbeards in basements as opposed to most of the audience carrying a thing in their pockets that has access). Also, even if "Austin 3:16" happened today, he'd be jobbed out for the next month, disappear from TV, and that would be that (assuming he wasn't in the proverbial doghouse for going off script). Confiscate all the signs. Prob'ly not have even made any shirts. Fuck that guy and his plain black trunks. Gotta find a new Hogan.

So, back to what I was saying: if Dolph had beat Kofi at the PPV, would you really care? I mean, they've spent so much time telling everyone by actions over the years that these guys aren't worth much to invest fandom into, so did it really matter? Even throwing out the PPV match wasn't the greatest (unfortunate, I've stated my opinion on those two before) it still should have been more notable: two BIG STARS mixing it up. They could have injected anyone into that match and had THEM win it and there would still be this feeling of apathy that isn't really correctly indicative of any of the talent involved themselves, but a symptom of the treatment of most of the roster as a whole.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote