View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #35
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Finished up a couple of days ago. Season 2 did an excellent job of taking me from "Eh... shit, I guess I have to watch it..." to actively wondering where season 3 is going to go.

I even tried to go back and watch season 1 with insight and context... and even with those, it was still ass.

My only problem with S2 is Mary. I don't even dislike the character. My issue with her has more to do with a nitpick with something that has become a trope of all the the shows in the Netflix MCU:

SPOILER: show
Shoehorned mental instabilities.

Again, it makes for an interesting character. Especially if they are going where it looks like they're going with her and it isn't some sort of Mandarin-like red herring. In her case it works for what's going on... Done well, it made Kingpin more than just generic rich crimeboss... but just about everyone has to have some detrimental mental illness or addiction or both. Punisher couldn't just have a psychotic break after his life was ripped away, no, it has to be PTSD specifically. To me, it feel like they're trying to run the gammut of "what disorder will our next person have?" before they whip out the medical journal to find some flaw for the next Daredevil baddie. Almost everyone is addicted to something... either metaporically or an actual chemical dependency, and that is sometimes on top of the mental disorder du juor.

It may not be intentional, but to me, it is starting to feel kinda cheap. Cheap under the guise of being "deep" or "insightful", but taking away from anything special.

That aside, this has really turned the tempo, the character, and the show as a whole around for me. The choreography and camerawork still isn't on par with the highest of high bars put in place by Daredevil, but it wasn't utter dogshit like season 1.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote