View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #28
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
So, signs are pointing to this heading in the direction that X-Com was going in: trade in on the name and forsake what it was. Instead of making the thing that will keep the loyal fanbase happy, let's just make something that isn't remotely close and slap the franchise paint on it for possible nominal success but alienation and more apprehension in the future.

This *might* end up being good, but for the first time in the history of ever, I'm not that stoked about an upcoming Fallout title. And as much as I am meh about the Brotherhood of Steel titles, they still got me jazzed. Hell, I recommend Wasteland 2 to any and every person who were into 1 and 2, because that game proves the first two titles can work on a console.

I asked in another thread, but how much separation does Fallout need from its roots before it is no longer Fallout? There is more to the game than Radscorpions and Vault Boy. Storytelling, references, V.A.T.S., Karma, and actually having to make choices (such as exactly which perks you'll be taking, because you couldn't just powerlevel and take everything - you only had so many until the cap, so choose wisely).

Fans want another game like New Vegas, as NV is essentially the gold standard of the franchise history taken into the then-current gen... and instead of doing that and releasing this alongside it (similar to 4 and Shelter), they're trying to go elsewhere and make it something it isn't. Fallout doesn't need to be an action FPS. Or a Battle Royale game. People who want those other things are playing those other things, and people who want Fallout don't want it to be those things. I mean, could you imagine if Capcom decided they wanted to stop making Street Fighter a fighting game and gradually tried to shift it into something in the style of Heavy Rain? Nothing but cutscenes and QTEs? Intresting for a one-off, maybe, or a side project, but not the direction the fanbase would be enthused about.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote