View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #731
El Fangel
ELF ANGEL

El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Fangel makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Read that George Martin wrote this scene last in the book. He skipped it when he was writing, finished the rest of the book and then came back to it. Also said he purposely didn't want to be involved too much in this episode because it hurt so much to write the first time that he just couldn't do it again. That's why he didn't write this episode like he has for a couple through the show's life, and like people thought he would since it is such an important episode.

I think the show did it justice though.

Sounds like Lock Jaw just doesn't agree with this happening at all, not necessarily any differences. So what is it you don't agree with?
As someone like yourself who is up to date with the books, it honestly could not have gone smoother. The only thing that I think they SHOULD have done differently for a more (somehow) epic feel was

Season 3 Episode 9 Spoiler Below
SPOILER: show
Have Roose slide the sword through Robbs back and say the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon View Post
Heavy loading most of A Storm of Swords into this season. All of Dany's story from the book is pretty much complete.

So,

Since she's not even in book 4 is this the last we will see of Dany for two full seasons? I don't like the sound of that at all.

Chances are, they may include bits and pieces from her, remember that the show doesn't necessarily have to follow the narrative of the books since you are reading some POV chapters that may have took place a long time before the previous chapter.

Quote:
I'm assuming they will combine the events of Book 4 and 5 into the same seasons. The events in the books take place concurrently, and eventually combine somewhere through Book 5. They're just split into two books because there was so much content that he decided to split them like that.

A Feast For Crows Spoiler
He could have at least left Tyrion in Book 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock Jaw View Post
I just really vehemently disliked the decision to kill off Robb and Catelyn. After reading like two and a half books, the driving impetus behind the whole thing felt to me for the remaining Stark clan to finally reunite and to give the Lannisters some comeuppance (perhaps with the help of Danaerys). Gets you all invested in the characters and then kills them off for little return other than the "shock factor", and a big part of the reason to actually keep reading the series is gone.
No it isn't. If you think characters you love dying is something that will cause you to stop reading, best do so now because if you think its all sunshine and lollipops later, you are sadly, sadly mistaken.

Quote:
I never felt there was any singular plot driving the world or the books. There are so many stories happening, and we still have Starks left who are all performing their role in this whole world-altering struggle going on right now.

The Starks are obviously the 'hero' types, and we want to root for their family as they struggle to get by and as horrible things happen to them. But the rest of the people in the world are just as important. It's sort of the whole point of the series really - life happens, things don't always work out the way you hope. What goes around doesn't always come back around. They made a lot of stupid mistakes (Ned and Robb) based on values they put ahead of others. Were they wrong? No, but look how far it got them.

We get to see the contrast of that in people like the Freys, Boltons, and Lannisters. Money and power is worth more than just living and loving to these people. Even their own families are practically expendable at the drop of a hat.
The Starks of course are looked at as the main plot characters, mostly due I think to the actions of Jaime setting off the chain of events. However that isn't to say that nothing would have happened without him showing Bran out the window.
El Fangel is offline   Reply With Quote